Xserver/XRAID replaced by NAS

MC_JerryD

After a couple of close calls with our XRAID going down this year, we though it would be a good idea to look for a replacement. Going to a NAS seemed like a good replacement since the XServer seemed a little overkill just to hold files. Boy was I wrong. The NAS is faster copying one big file, but when I comes to a whole bunch of files, it chokes. Also can not do a search from your Mac when looking for files and saving back an AI or TIFF file gives a strange Adobe error.

Is it just me or are NAS devices just not Mac friendly. When I connect with a Windows workstation I have no problems.

Has anyone switched out their XServer to anything else, or are running a NAS with better results in a Mac environment.

Thanks for any help and input.

MCJerryD

Are you connecting to the NAS from the Mac's with AFP or SMB? Try it with SMB from the Mac's. I'd stay with the Xserve and XRAID/SAN. No need to scrap a perfectly good system. What was so flaky about the old one? You can always just replace the RAID with any number of RAID chasis's

Are you connecting to the NAS from the Mac's with AFP or SMB? Try it with SMB from the Mac's. I'd stay with the Xserve and XRAID/SAN. No need to scrap a perfectly good system. What was so flaky about the old one? You can always just replace the RAID with any number of RAID chasis's

We are connecting SMB with the Macs. We been having the drives in the XRAID fail and only been able to purchase the drives off ebay. Afraid if something more serious goes we will not be able to get the part. Do you know if you can connect the NAS to the Xserver so then it will index the NAS drives? I was thinking that might speed it up and make it easier to search for files. The Xserver module has been solid though.

Thanks for your reply

We dumped our XSERVE G5 and XSERVE RAID when we had a drive die in the RAID and found out that we could not get replacement drives. There is a long story behind that whole mess.

Whereas the new XSERVE RAID alternatives are overkill a NAS is underkill and will be very slow. We ended up buying a MacPro with a RAID card, OSX Server and 4 2TB drives configured in RAID5. We ended up with 5.23TB usable space which should outlast the computer(server) itself.

Xserver/XRAID replaced by NAS

I dealt with Proactive Technologies for last 18 years; they are located in Dallas TX. All hard drives in the RAID are guaranteed by the drive manufacturer, usually 5 or more years. I am not a salesman but a long time user of Proactive Technologies. This company is got the best support for the right price, they will configure your RAID any way you suggest a better config. From JBOD up.
If you wish to get in touch with them please go to Welcome
Oh, and they are not overpriced like Kodak, Agfa etc.
I think you will be happy with them.

Regards,

Joe Novak

After a couple of close calls with our XRAID going down this year, we though it would be a good idea to look for a replacement. Going to a NAS seemed like a good replacement since the XServer seemed a little overkill just to hold files. Boy was I wrong. The NAS is faster copying one big file, but when I comes to a whole bunch of files, it chokes. Also can not do a search from your Mac when looking for files and saving back an AI or TIFF file gives a strange Adobe error.

Is it just me or are NAS devices just not Mac friendly. When I connect with a Windows workstation I have no problems.

Has anyone switched out their XServer to anything else, or are running a NAS with better results in a Mac environment.

Thanks for any help and input.

MCJerryD

All NAS units are not created equal. If you bought a NAS with or you added cheap desktop hard drives you will not be satisfied. You need to make sure it has Enterprise class drives in it that are made to handle the rigors of RAID.

For faster searching have spotlight index the drive:

• From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
  • Click Spotlight.
  • Click the Privacy tab.
  • Drag a folder or even an entire volume (your hard drive) to the list.
  • Remove the item or volume you just added.
  • Spotlight will re-index the contents of the item you initially dragged to the list.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back