Ytd

MJNC

So what is the common opinion on Yours Truly Designer (HP product) for the Indigo?
I am at a relatively new job, and we do a lot of variable data jobs. Usually I just create a template in Quark and use XData to flow text in from client’s Excel doc. We do have YTD though, and my superiors here at work want me to learn it.
The last guy who was here who did my job did a lot of things in YTD; which they bring up all the time. They also sent him to Boston for a week of school to learn it. They will send me if I want to go; but I would really like to learn it on my own. And I have been trying now for a few months. Their documentation sucks, and no one else out there has written a good training book on it yet. I HAVE NEVER HAD THIS MUCH DIFFICULTY LEARNING AN APPLICATION!!! Could someone who uses it often maybe give me a step by step so I can fill in where I am missing? I know its probably a lot to type; Thanks in advance for whatever help I can get.
mjnc

Ytd

Hi Sherbert;
Happy Friday! and Thanks for the offer. Until now I have only used XData for variable info stuff, and that none too much.
I create a quark file (say business cards, 30 up), set up a style or “prototype” in the first text box (all linked), set the curser in the middle of the prototype and select import to spec an XLdoc to pull info from. Then Xdata stylizes the text for each text box (1 entry per box) in order according to the rules of the prototype.
In YTD when I try this; start with the same Quark doc. Make the text boxes into text channels. Spec a database XLdoc then assign its lines to each text box; then hit preview. All of the text boxes use the first entry in the XLdoc! and the only way to see the rest of them is to go through the “cycle” button, and they view one at a time, 30 up on my sheet. So, I guess my first question is, how do you get the text channels to show the XLdoc entries in order all on one page? I appreciate your help. Thanks!
_m

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back