New Install - Ricoh Pro C7110SX

Since we got our 5100 about a year ago we have started to do landscape A4 FST's along with A4 6pp's and now we have the banner unit on the 9110 the quantity has increased. The cooling system on the 9110 is very different to the 901 and 5100, using upper and lower cooling belts that transfer the heat to a liquid cooling system which has a radiator on the back of the machine. When you run 400gsm the heat coming off it has to be felt to be believed.

We are looking at a 9110. We are also coming from a 901. How do you like yours? Is it a much better machine? Anything to watch out for or anything really greatly improved?

Since we got our 5100 about a year ago we have started to do landscape A4 FST's along with A4 6pp's and now we have the banner unit on the 9110 the quantity has increased. The cooling system on the 9110 is very different to the 901 and 5100, using upper and lower cooling belts that transfer the heat to a liquid cooling system which has a radiator on the back of the machine. When you run 400gsm the heat coming off it has to be felt to be believed.

Let's see some 9110 pictures!

I have a rather lengthy post on this site about our initial teething problems with the 9110. Since the middle of july it's been a lot better but...
Its certainly better than the 901 99% of the time, my major gripes are large areas of solid black which look a bit litho like, not like the dense solid you get off the 901 which Ricoh Japan are looking in to and the very poor paper library which is down to Ricoh UK rushing the machine out, I m having to perform a lot of messing at when I should be productive, having to create new papers, having to adjust paper magnification to allow for shrinkage, fuser temp and nip pressure for creasing, adjusting fuser speed to get rid of exit scratches, these are on a regular basis, less often I have had to tinker with image transfer bias, paper transfer bias, etc. It's nice to get to know this stuff as the knowledge does make my life easier but my boss thinks I should be getting on with the work.?????
Far fewer paper jams, the new paper draws are a lot better the machine itself is better built and seem sturdier than the 901
Banner length on our machine is set at 700mm as we are using the converted paper tray 3 not the special unit that goes between the Imaging unit and the LCT.
Also its fast, 2000 sheets of D/S 400gsm Conqueror in just over an hour. Backing up is better than the 901 and more consistent and on the maintenance side I have only had to open her up once to sort out a couple of white lines in the black, she is now at 1.347 Million clicks.
And a couple of weeks ago I had to re-clean the ITB speed sensor, but that is the first time since a updated part was fitted in July.
There is no official TCRU training yet but my techs have been showing me how to replace stuff, we have a TCRU Kit onsite, think of her as a c901 on steroids.

I have taken a few photo's, shortly after delivery, with all the doors open it's a bit of a beast I will try to post them at some point.

Last edited:
No Title

Here are a few pics
As you can see the imaging part has been separated from fusing side this is to stop the heat from the fuser, which is underneath in the 901 and all other machines I've worked on, from affecting the image consistency.
Also after the fuser unit you can see the new paper cooling system and i have included a separate close up photo of the broken one that had to be replaced. See separate post.

Attachments

• photo5006.jpg
    photo5006.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 232
  • photo5007.jpg
    photo5007.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 264
  • photo5008.jpg
    photo5008.jpg
    1,013.1 KB · Views: 247
  • photo5009.jpg
    photo5009.jpg
    977.4 KB · Views: 241
  • photo5010.jpg
    photo5010.jpg
    969 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Here are a few pics
As you can see the imaging part has been separated from fusing side this is to stop the heat from the fuser, which is underneath in the 901 and all other machines I've worked on, from affecting the image consistency.
Also after the fuser unit you can see the new paper cooling system and i have included a separate close up photo of the broken one that had to be replaced. See separate post.

Thanks for the pics.

Did you try printing envelopes on 7100? I have heard there is not problem with feeding them but some stripes remaining on fuser belt afterwards...

Did you try printing envelopes on 7100? I have heard there is not problem with feeding them but some stripes remaining on fuser belt afterwards...

It probably would leave memory lines like every other machine but on the 7110 you can execute the belt smoothing roller to get rid of them and it really works!

We just did try printing 10x15 envelopes yesterday, did a small batch of them to try it out. We fed them through the vacuum drawer and they fed great, only issue was wrinkles in the envelope, I am sure that can be fixed with some changes. We have fed 5.5x8.5 postcards through the same drawer with no issues.

Ricoh came back and said printing banner paper through the buffer pass should be no issue and it has no restrictions on length.

The belt smoothing does work!

Just an update, went over 100,000 color clicks on the machine yesterday and so far I haven't seen any quality issues that others have posted about.

Jams for us have been quick to clear, ran some 8.5 x 14 that gave us some issues, but that was the paper, we went from paper we had on the floor to a new case and saw the feed issues pop up within the first ream, most went to the purge bin without issue.

Great to hear it works, very occasionally we have to print small numbers of envelopes. BTW I will post photo of my set-up within 2 months :)

The room is more open than it looks, but yes the recorded high did get to 77 in that room with both going for a while. It will be nice this winter, might have to pipe some extra AC vents in before next summer.

Just hit 200K on the first Ricoh and it is still going. The 2nd Ricoh is running good so far, has over 35K on it.

Last edited:
The 2 printers are humming along, we are constantly amazed by some of the jobs we have been printing for years when we see it come out of the Ricoh so sharp and bright it just makes us go wow. They do have a thirst for blood, I have to watch going in after some jams as I have cut my hand, plenty of sharp metal in the innards of these machines, thankfully the jams have been minimal.

Finally getting a chance to try out the clear toner today, can't wait to see how that turns out.

I love the looks of that plockmatic at the end, I want one of those especially for full bleed booklet jobs, the square fold just looks cool.

The 2 printers are humming along, we are constantly amazed by some of the jobs we have been printing for years when we see it come out of the Ricoh so sharp and bright it just makes us go wow. They do have a thirst for blood, I have to watch going in after some jams as I have cut my hand, plenty of sharp metal in the innards of these machines, thankfully the jams have been minimal.

Finally getting a chance to try out the clear toner today, can't wait to see how that turns out.

Have you used the white?

Got white installed on one and clear on the other, got busy again so we haven't played with it much but what we did print on black paper turned out nice.

So far it is going good, no major problems with jams, everything is going though the machine except envelopes, still trying to figure that one out.

It is weird when the service guy shows up to fix a problem we didn't know about since the machine is online and alerts them of potential issues. Service so far has been good which was one of our main concerns.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back