Acrobat Pro, Marquee Zoom causing SBOD

Glenn McDowall

2017 intel iMac, Ventura, Acrobat Pro (I think 2023.006), Latest Pitstop and Prinergy10 PlugIns, usually have Output Preview panel and Pitstop Inspect and Action Lists panels open too.

I get the SBOD when after dragging the Marquee Zoom, pauses for 20 to 60 seconds. Doesn't seem to crash just getting annoying.

Is anyone else seeing this?
Are there any Prefs, sorry Settings, I can change?

Hi Glenn,

Are you working with REALLY high-res content? If so, that...could...slow you down when using the Marquee tool. If not........

I've noticed that with the latest version of Acrobat, when I have an object selected with Pitstop, there is a mild screen flicker. I haven't seen the SBOD when using the Marquee tool though. That being the case, you may want to consider temporarily removing the Prinergy plugins to see if the issue goes away. Could be a compatibility issue?

Something else worth trying would be to temporarily MOVE the Acrobat preferences file to the desktop. Then open Acrobat and see if you still get the SBOD when using the Marque tool. The Acrobat preference file is here:

~\Library\Preferences\com.adobe.Acrobat.Pro.plist

Hopefully one of the above will start to point you in the right direction.

Best regards,
pd

Last edited:
Try turning this off.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-12-05 at 10.48.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-05 at 10.48.52 AM.png
    85.1 KB · Views: 96
Thanks for the replies prepressdork and oxburger. I narrowed it down a bit more, so if I turn off the Output Preview it doesn't happen. So not to do with either Pitstop nor the Prinergy PlugIns.
These are not complicated images, the SBOD is apperaring with the simplest of pdfs but turning off the Page Display oxburger suggestion made no difference.

I've also read a suggestion that this behaviour happens with 2017 iMac before HDD failure, so am keeping the time machine back-up up to date.

One more thing. If not high res images, is it an Illustrator file with a bunch of masks, layers or objects that was converted to a PDF? Had one the other day that was 300MB, but had clipping masks, drop shadows and all that fun stuff.

Output Preview in Acrobat Pro can cause some wonky stuff. I've noticed that is you have a PDF that is a fillable form, it flashes like a strobe light upon first opening the file.

Have found the latest version of Acrobat Pro frequently goes into ‘not responding’ for several seconds before stabilising, generally when paging down. Win 10 desktops, plenty of RAM & SSHDDs. Anyone else on Windows finding this?

Have found the latest version of Acrobat Pro frequently goes into ‘not responding’ for several seconds before stabilising, generally when paging down. Win 10 desktops, plenty of RAM & SSHDDs. Anyone else on Windows finding this?
Yes, reproduces on all Windows machines.

And I just get it when I open PDF's in general and don't move around, nothing special. Adobe quality & testing team on high alert these days.

Upgraded to 2023.008. Crashing all the time. Went to Creative Cloud, uninstalled Acrobat, re-installed Acrobat (2023.008), re-installed Pitstop, re-installed Kodak Tools, re-set preferences for all and Quick Tools, still getting massive amount of crashes, usually when closing files or trying to re-open Acrobat, Also Pitstop's ruler tool is not showing the green and blue crosshairs.

I got laid off today. If you know of any companies hiring for quality assurance managers, let me know. I was the Global Lead of Quality and Testing for Adobe Acrobat and my team was responsible for ensuring Adobe Acrobat, a tool that millions use daily, was always functioning properly on all platforms.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back