Adjust option of plate thickness for KOMORI press

ngocdung93

Dear All,

Need your advise for this matter.

My client is using KOMORI press that accepts plate thickness 0.24~0.25mm.

But I encourage them changing to accept plate 0.3mm.

Are there any ways to make this change? Need adjusting some parts or parameters in the press?

You will have to remove packing from the blanket cylinder that equals the same amount you have increased the thickness of the plate by to maintain the correct Plate/Blanket squeeze. I am assuming this is a bearer to bearer press.
the plate bender length will most likely have to be adjusted slightly for the increased plate thickness otherwise you might be cracking plates and you might have to adjust your plate files to make up for the different print repeat now that the blanket cylinder is printing shorter. Dont forget to have the pressman check their roller stripes to the plate as they will have to be adjusted. Probably forgot something but someone will have other suggestions.
Good luck

Undercut on a lithrone 28 plate cylinder is .2mm, and we use a .3mm plate here like you are encouraging. You might want to post the exact type of press you are talking about that way we can help you with some more details.

If you are talking about a press similar to the one I just mentioned then the following applies:

Like the previous poster mention, you will most likely need to adjust the thickness of your packing in the blanket cylinder, and you will want to check the blanket to impression cylinder squeeze as well. You could have about a .05mm change in your blanket to impression cylinder nip if that is the case.

Dear All,

Need your advise for this matter.

My client is using KOMORI press that accepts plate thickness 0.24~0.25mm.

But I encourage them changing to accept plate 0.3mm.

Are there any ways to make this change? Need adjusting some parts or parameters in the press?

This is a challenge we face regularly as a plate vendor too. The Japanese standard gauge is typically 0.24mm, so it's common on Japanese presses like Komori - although they do have 0.3mm configurations for export markets. However, outside of Japan we don't make much 0.24mm plates, so the cost is higher and availability is worse.

One thing also to consider, that may make things easier for you. This comes down to "nominal" vs. "true" plate gauge, and it depends on the region you're in. The plate thickness on the label is the "nominal" gauge, but the plate itself might be slightly different if you measure it. Industry standards (within ISO norms) are typically that "0.3mm" plates are actually about 0.270-0.275mm substrate thickness (except in USA, where 0.290 is common), but some of the local manufacturers actually use 0.26-0.265mm. However, "0.24" gauge is usually closer to an accurate measurement (2-digit precision). So - the difference between 0.24 and 0.3mm plates may be much smaller than you'd think.

I still agree with the other posters here that you should check/adjust your packing and pressures though, but normally this type of adjustment isn't a problem to do. In addition, the easier availability of 0.3mm will benefit your customer.

Kevin.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back