Adobe Illustrator text line breaks

Chief_1975

Hi there,

I have got a couple of paragraphs of russian justified type in a text box using Cyrillic characters where certain words are being split onto the next line. The font being used is Arial Unicode MS regular, I have checked hyphenation is switched off and yet it still splitting words?.

I can stop it happening by highlight specific words and select "No Break" from the character options drop down palette however this is not practical to be doing this for every instance where it splits. I have tried highlighting the whole paragraph and selecting no break but all the text disappears ?

I also tried swapping to Myriad Pro where it is ok so it seems to a specific problem to the version of Arial Unicode MS I am using.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

I normally put a soft hyphen at the start of a word that I do not want to hyphenate. This is saying that the hyphen should be before the first letter if anywhere, i e not to hyphenate the word. This does not solve your problem, but is an alternate way of doing a "No Break"

Perhaps you have nonbreaking spaces between words?

Perhaps you have nonbreaking spaces between words?

Hi there,

I have got a couple of paragraphs of russian justified type in a text box using Cyrillic characters where certain words are being split onto the next line. The font being used is Arial Unicode MS regular, I have checked hyphenation is switched off and yet it still splitting words?.

I can stop it happening by highlight specific words and select "No Break" from the character options drop down palette however this is not practical to be doing this for every instance where it splits. I have tried highlighting the whole paragraph and selecting no break but all the text disappears ?

I also tried swapping to Myriad Pro where it is ok so it seems to a specific problem to the version of Arial Unicode MS I am using.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Not sure how the paragraph was sent to you but if it came from another operating system in its path from Russia to you, the spaces could be actually not variable spacebar characters but either offsets applied to the first letter of each word or non-breaking spaces. Does it break with hyphens? If not, the whole thing could really be one long string of characters, which means it has to break regardless of the settings. I'd try selecting a sample wordspace, hitting "copy", open the Find/Replace window; paste the character into the "find" box, a space into the "replace with" box and then hit "replace all". this should replace any funkiness with regular word spaces and may solve your problem.

No break in a paragraph means no break. You will need a GREP to change letters to no break but leave spaces with the nobreak unchecked.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back