Apogee Rip question

swp66

Does anyone know if a Screen PT-R4100 platesetter will work with an Apogee rip (version 5)?

thanks
Scott

I'm guessing yes, especially considering that Apogee's CTP units are actually rebadged Screens.

I say NO.
It works in Apogee X workflow (where any HQ RIP can be implemented), but not with Apogee PDF/Taipan RIPs where AGFA use APIS protocol, which is incompatible with Dainippon Screen one.
Palladio, Acento, Avalons, etc from Screen - all of them use HQ based RIP in case of direct RIP <--> CTP connection

Last edited:
I say NO.
It works in Apogee X workflow (where any HQ RIP can be implemented), but not with Apogee PDF/Taipan RIPs where AGFA use APIS protocol, which is incompatible with Dainippon Screen one.
Palladio, Acento, Avalons, etc from Screen - all of them use HQ based RIP in case of direct RIP <--> CTP connection

Why not?. We used to use Apogee PDF RIP, before Apogee X was introduced with Acento, Palladio and Other screen -Agfa Products. Apogee PDF Rip with SCSI(Not the Apis board) and Device driver works very well. I do not see any reason for not being able to use it on 4100. They all are 1 bit Tiff catcher. We even used Apogee PDF RIP on an average CTP like CRON..

Never seen OEM Screen with Apogee PDF RIPs, only with AGFA APS Grafix RIPs (former Autologic).
And again... I told about DIRECT connections, not a 1bit Tiff catchers where Apogee PDF used for ripping but not for imaging.

Does anyone know if a Screen PT-R4100 platesetter will work with an Apogee rip (version 5)?

I doubt that Apogee can drive the device directly. I suspect that you will have to have a TIFF catcher. That's not a big deal, though. Have you approached Agfa with this question?

A Brief History

A Brief History

thanks
Scott

Agfa has been driving Screen engines for almost 10 years. The first was the Flate Rite 1050. It was private labeled as the Palladio and was driven from the PDF Rip directly via SCSI.
When Agfa introduced Apogee X, now Apogee Prepress, we continued to be able to drive the Palladio. When Apogee X 2.0 came out Agfa began driving what was called the Accento. The Screen PT-R4000, 4100, and 4300 are private labeled by Agfa under the name Accento. With Apogee X 4.0, due to OEM agreement, Apogee could no longer drive the Screen versions. Apogee 3, 4, 5, and 6 could only drive Agfa's own devices under the private label. Prepress 7.0 can now drive both the Screen versions and the Agfa private label versions. Some other manufactures also use the Screen family for platesetting. Those versions we cannot be driven by Apogee.
Scott - I assume when you say Apogee Rip version 5 you are referring to Apogee Prepress 5.0. Apogee Prepress 5.0, due to OEM agreement, can not drive a Screen PT-R4100. If you upgraded to Prepress 7.0 it could.

-Phil Crosby, Senior trainer, Academy, Expert Services, Agfa Graphics North America

PS. Thank you to my fellow Agfa Trainers for help in compiling this history.

Agfa has been driving Screen engines for almost 10 years. The first was the Flate Rite 1050. It was private labeled as the Palladio and was driven from the PDF Rip directly via SCSI.
When Agfa introduced Apogee X, now Apogee Prepress, we continued to be able to drive the Palladio. When Apogee X 2.0 came out Agfa began driving what was called the Accento. The Screen PT-R4000, 4100, and 4300 are private labeled by Agfa under the name Accento. With Apogee X 4.0, due to OEM agreement, Apogee could no longer drive the Screen versions. Apogee 3, 4, 5, and 6 could only drive Agfa's own devices under the private label. Prepress 7.0 can now drive both the Screen versions and the Agfa private label versions. Some other manufactures also use the Screen family for platesetting. Those versions we cannot be driven by Apogee.
Scott - I assume when you say Apogee Rip version 5 you are referring to Apogee Prepress 5.0. Apogee Prepress 5.0, due to OEM agreement, can not drive a Screen PT-R4100. If you upgraded to Prepress 7.0 it could.

-, Senior trainer, Academy, Expert Services, Agfa Graphics North America

PS. Thank you to my fellow Agfa Trainers for help in compiling this history.

Hi Phil,

Thanks so much for clarifying this for everybody.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back