Black & white machine

chrisg42

I'm looking to replace a black & white machine which will need to do 100,000 - 200,000 clicks per month. The final choice looks as though it is between a Konica Minolta 1050 or a Ricoh 1107EX.

Can anyone using either of these machines suggest good or bad points that I should be aware of?

Chris

What about a Xerox WC 4127/4112?
I just recently had a customer install a 4127 and within 18 days had run 400,000 8.5X11 in. prints with only a minor problem with the pressure roll. That's it!

I can't speak to the Ricoh machine, sorry I'm not much help there. But I have two 1050's, each with about 4 million clicks on them over the course of 18 or 20 months, so I'm right about where you want to be as far as volume goes. They are.....in one word....average. I run mostly black and white on preprinted shells, and spend the majority of my time waiting for techs to come and replace feed rollers. The other issue I had was with running light coverage pieces, I was getting a lot of residual toner build up in the paper path. This was remedied with the installation of a "toner recovery kit" on both machines, but I had to fight for it....might be something worth asking for if you can get it. Also, the internal rips aren't the fastest things in the world either, and there is no REAL management utility to speak of...something worth thinking about if you have operators that need to run jobs without access to the native applications.

Last edited:
You'll also find, I think, that the 1050 is unable to print large solid-black areas. It lays down uneven coverage and produces a halo effect at the edges.

richo

richo

We have been running the richo 1107ex for 6 months now and we have had no problems with it, the quality of the screens and solids is the best i have ever had from a b/w machine. We have put 739,000 clicks on it so far (we run everything 2 up so a click counts as 11x17 or 12x18 for this count, so almost 1,500,000 A3) We have only had to place 3 service calls on it, two of those were involved with initial set up (feed roller streaking and adjust fuser temp) and the other was to change ITB web. I can not speak for the xerox one way or the other but i am really happy with the richo B/W quality and performance.

Black & white machine

Thanks for the help so far.

Unfortunately a typo in my original post changed the question a bit. It's a KM 1051 (not a 1050) that I am considering against the Ricoh.

I'm aware that Xerox has similar machines (and Canon, and ...) but these are the final two on the shortlist.

I'll just throw this out, I have a Ricoh MP9000 with 12MM on it and it jams up the a$$. The last jam count they pulled 1 particular code recorded 53 jams, it was averaging a jam every 10m. They are going to bring a rebuilt fuser unit to see if that solves it.... we'll see tomorrow.

I service about 10 of the Ricoh 1107ex type machines and I think they are great :) I don't think you will find a tech that disagrees.

Craig if the fuser doesn't fix it ask the tech what the jam code is and post it maybe someone here can help.

Just as rebutal to jayDA.

The 1051 uses air feed not friction feed. Although they should have supplied a cms kit.

The 1051 comes standard with toner recovery. We won't sell a 1050 without one

The 1051 has a toner density which the 1050 lacks so is in constant control of developers. If your running ultra low coverage (like 1-2%) you should get a monocomponent machine such as a canon or oce.

Most codes on the MP9000 are 021.

Just had this maybe a week ago. The problem was the drive shaft for the paper exit section was not popping out so the exit section was losing drive. Putting some oil on the shaft fixed it.

It took me way longer to figure out than it should have and I talked some other techs who has the same thing happen. Feel really dumb after finding something so simple but it's fixed.

If it's still not fixed you can give the tech my email ([email protected]) if they don't understand my description.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back