Can a certified PDF be generated from a layout that has Tiffs using LZW compression?

truetype1

I have seen PDF pages go to press a thousand times from that were created in Indesign. The images in the layouts were tiffs that used LZW compression. Why am i suddenly being told by a new co-worker that PDF/x does not allow for LZW compression in the tiff files. What am I missing here, Im confused.

caveat, If the PDF being generated from Indesign is set to be PDF/x ## compliant, is the LZW compression in the placed tiffs removed, or does it stay intact until the pdf hits the RIP?

All and any answers are appreciated. Thanks

-T

Last edited:
LZW is simply not allowed in PDF/X. The images were likely being recompressed when exporting to PDF from InDesign. The new guy is right.

Thanks Matt. I almost sent this message directly to you, because I knew you would chime in at one point or another. So could you say with any confidence that the images were being re-compressed during the pdf generation, lets say if Jpg compression high quality was selected in the pdf presets. Do you believe that to be accurate?

Absolutely they are being recompressed either by InDesign if using PDF/X settings or the preflight function.

You are always welcome to contact me direct.