Canon and PRISMAsync

We are looking at a Canon C800 and the Canon salesman is pushing PRISMAsync like gangbusters. The techs on the other hand are saying don't do it, to stay with Fiery and that even the bustled one is more suited for us/less expensive -- (one person running it from 8-5)

Anyone with experience with PRISMAsync?

There's a few neat perks, like job scheduling, and I've heard the paper catalog isn't as intuitive on the Fiery, but there's a lot I don't like.
  • Can't apply settings to multiple jobs at the same time. Often I send a group of files and I just need to change them all to be 80# cover. In Fiery I can select them all and change the stock for all of them in one shot. On prisma I have to go to properties for every single file one by one.
  • The controller is HEAVILY tied to the printer. The fiery is separated from the Canon interface, so if the controller has an error they can still get into the maintenance interface through the Canon touch panel. Not the case with Prisma.
  • I'm on an Imagepress 6010, so maybe it's improved now, but the color options are severely limited.
  • Again, on a 6010, but the Hotfolders for Prisma are a tacked on piece of crap. they're constantly vanishing from the network requiring multiple controller restarts before it suddenly shows back up again. Plus you're limited to a certain # of folders, where fiery doesn't do that.
All this said, PRISMA is actually a really good controller on my Oce equipment, but it feels like an afterthought on the Canon.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back