Canva acquires Affinity apps

MacTwidget

I saw today that Canva has acquired Serif's Affinity suite of creative apps. I hope this is not too little too late to be a thorn in Adobe's side.
Eons ago QuarkXPress was the DTP king and Adobe's PageMaker was just a poser. Quark rested on their laurels and thought they were untouchable.
Then came InDesign. Need I say more?
What do you think about the Canva news?

I saw today that Canva has acquired Serif's Affinity suite of creative apps. I hope this is not too little too late to be a thorn in Adobe's side.
Eons ago QuarkXPress was the DTP king and Adobe's PageMaker was just a poser. Quark rested on their laurels and thought they were untouchable.
Then came InDesign. Need I say more?
What do you think about the Canva news?
Got an email to that effect.
Canva is much BIGGER than Affinity. Affinity is not going anywhere.
Remember Affinity was 'made' by designers who hired and assisted programmers because Adobe pissed them off.
Both Affinity and Canva products are built on a MODERN programming base.
Yes Adobe is definitely getting pressure.
:)

This is interesting news, I just hope that Canva doesn't plan on putting a “Buy Printing Now” button into the software like they do on Canva. I have been receiving more pdf's created by Canva, so yes, Adobe could be falling behind Canva very soon.

This is the pledge they sent out:

Canva.png

In my experience the Affinity created PDF's have been as good as anything out of an Adobe app. The PDF's I've received that were created in Canva have been a Sh**show. I'm hoping that the Affinity team can improve things on the Canva side.
The PDFs I've received from customers who used Canva got much better once I explaned how to include bleed and vector data.

This is the pledge they sent out:

View attachment 292733
I think #3 is VERY interesting and smart! If schools can get it for free, you'll likely see many middle school and high school intro graphics classes switch to Affinity. That will create a whole new generation of students who are trained up on it and they will likely continue to purchase/use it after school instead of paying a monthly fee for Adobe.

I currently teach the Adobe CS in an adult school and the monthly subscription poses many challenges. I know other teachers who use photopea.com, or free alternatives like Gimp and Inkscape for entry level computer graphics/design classes since its less of a headache than doing the monthly subscription.

I also appreciate that they are committing to keeping perpetual licenses and also listening to user feedback. Watch out Adobe!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back