Click Charges on a 4/1 Job

JodyTX

I have a 4/1 job to print out from InDesign to our Konica-Minolta 5500, but it charges two color clicks for each copy.

Does anyone have any hints on sending a duplex job to get one color click and one black click?

We're new at this, so any suggestion would be appreciated.

Colour v greyscale clicks

Colour v greyscale clicks

I have a 4/1 job to print out from InDesign to our Konica-Minolta 5500, but it charges two color clicks for each copy.

Does anyone have any hints on sending a duplex job to get one color click and one black click?

We're new at this, so any suggestion would be appreciated.

JodyTX,
I have dealt with similar issues with both Xerox and Konica, if your original file is a pdf, take out the page you want in greyscale and open it in photoshop, in image menu convert the file to greyscale, insert the converted file back into your pdf.
This should resolve your problem.

Chris@Copywrite

No, no need to ruin a PDF by doing that. Convert the blacks to device gray using Callas pdfColorConvert or PitStop Pro. It's super easy to do with Callas pdfToolbox (pdfColorConvert is part of pdfToolbox) or PitStop Pro or Server.

Last edited:
use raster

use raster

every once in a while even when converting everything to grayscale does not work, in those scenarios we send 2 separate copies of the same job one in colour and one bw than rasterize it on the rip and replace the bw page with the rasterized be page works everytime (we use efi rips with xerox engines)

Call me simple but...

Call me simple but...

call me simple but it is easiest to just print the black ink first on a lower cost faster B/W copier and then print the color back whenever quality allows. Especially for short runs. If quality is an issue then you should be charging extra for the minolta black.

call me simple but it is easiest to just print the black ink first on a lower cost faster B/W copier and then print the color back whenever quality allows. Especially for short runs. If quality is an issue then you should be charging extra for the minolta black.

Not so good if the fusers are different temps. something will smear along the way.

Make two PDF's. One as a gray scale and one as a full color. Then go into acrobat and create a new pdf from multiple files.

Viola. You now only get charged for black. If still doesnt work, pass the charges on to your client. :)

I don't understand your terminology but I gather you have a double sided page with color on one and black and white on the other? If you have a 5500 im guessing you have a IC-408 (internal rip) in the driver or command workstation for that matter you have a media guide. This is strange place but you can select in here what pages are black and white and which are color. So you could force color pages to black and white also. Great feature.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back