Cockpit/Signa on Leopard 10.6.6

brockp28

Hi all,

I know this has been posted here a bit, but I checked the threads and couldn't find any issues similar to mine.

Running Tiger on one Mac (cockpit/signa work fine) and Leopard on the other. On the Leopard machine, when I fire Cockpit up it just hangs (doesn't even reach the login window) and I am required to force quit it.

All settings and mounts are fine and pretty much mirror the settings on the Tiger machine. I have added the Leopard machine to the host file on the prinect server.

Have contacted support but we haven't found a solution yet with them, thought I'd try my luck here to see if anyone else has had these issues.

Also obviously have the latest Java installed too.

Cheers

We tried going from 10.4.11 to 10.6 on one workstation and had a similar failure. We have v4 of Cockpit, and were told that the latest Java (in OS 10.6) was too new; we'd have to go to v4.5, or to v5 when it ships. I had to go to eBay to find a copy of 10.5.

@ T Dixon - 4.5 is compatible with Snow Leopard and works without problems
@brockp28 - it doesn't make much sense that support can not get you going, you have to apply more pressure on Heidelberg for such a simple thing.
On the other hand, did you try re-installing it and trashing preferences?
Our department is running mix of Tigers, Leopards and Snow Leopards on PowerPC and Intel Machines and I've had only one issue in 2 years where I had to re-install cockpit and trash preferences.

Good luck

I suggest working around a half step right now with Cockpit/MetaDimension. Find and install Leopard before moving to 4.5 if that is your only option. While my snow leaopard machine works OK (only ok), all other MAC OS machines (Panther/Leopard) are problem prone.

We moved to Ver. 4.5 for Proofing reasons (Newest Epson 7900 support begins at 4.5) and I can tell you I can't wait for Ver. 5, there are some hick-ups in cockpit across the board OS wise; Panther, Leopard and Snow-Leopard, in this current offering of Meta/Cockpit. I'm still hashing them out with support. But I suspect I'll deal with them until Ver. 5.

I had to make a move for Proofing reasons, if it had been just one client machine, I would have jumped back an OS on that machine.

New Macs (and new installs of 10.6) do not, by default install Rosetta.

Get the 10.6 install disk and run the optional installs and install Rosetta. Not saying this will work but I'm guessing that it probably will.

Rosetta is also required for Freehand - that won't start up if Rosetta is not installed.

We had this same problem and Bo3b is right, new Macs do not by default install Rosetta. We installed it and everything worked fine thereafter.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back