Creo Veris Proofer – Opinions?

Andrej

Hi,

Any experience with the Creo/Kodak Veris and opinions on how it compares to the Epson x900 series, in my case mostly for FOGRA39 proofs (no spot-color simulation required)?

I'd really like to try this thing out, but as supplies for the Veris are relatively expensive I wonder if it's worth the trouble.

…thanks!

Is anybody still selling this new, or is it used? AFAIK, this is a deprecated product. Kodak have moved on to inkjet proofing systems that use specific Epson or HP models. I personally would go with the Epson.

Stephen Marsh

Hi Stephen,
I am also quite sure that Kodak doesn't sell it anymore. I can get a used one in fully working condition including GMG Colorproof o4 for peanuts and I was thinking about using it as a dedicated proofing system (the proofs are for in-house use) so my Epsons will run production only.

How long will the consumables be available for? Chances are your first full one or two ink cartridge purchase will be more costly than the printer. Remember that software is licensed, so it is hard to officially "sell" to another party (although there can be ways to transfer it). I presume that the GMG software supports this printer? What media will you be using? Does the software support this "out of the box" or will you need to custom profile?

Stephen Marsh

Stephen, GMG supports the Veris and Kodak media out of the box. Kodak discounted the system in 2008 and stated that consumables will be available "for the foreseeable future". I'm not sure what their definition of foreseeable future is, but as for today consumables seem to be available, though little bit hard to get.
You are right, ink and Kodak proofing paper will cost me an arm and a leg, but I'm willing to give the Veris a chance *if* it is capable of producing decent results measured by today's standards.

You would have to check with GMG to see if they can pass F39 using the Veris inkset/resolution settings and your selected media.

Stephen Marsh

I switched from a Veris to an Epson 9900 with a GMG rip 3 years ago. Both made great proofs. Twenty 8.5x11 pages took about two hours on the Veris and about 35minutes on the Epson materials are so much cheaper on the Epson. I used the Veris for about 5 years and the Creo/Kodak tech was here often to keep it running

I absolutely loved my Veris, even did a few ad's/testimonials for Kodak on it. I had great success matching color for my magazines. But any more it is very difficult to not use an Epson/HP/Canon proofer with good software feeding it. If you're looking to pickup a used one I have a used Brisque Proof v4.2.x in my garage.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back