CTP problem no-one in the World can fix. Any takers?

We're a web company that was until recently running 4 different web presses. Now we're down to 2.
When we run plates through our Lotem 8oo we get problems with one plate size only (708cm x 510cm, gripped at short edge), the error no. is 5230 and reads......"No room in buffers timeout....screen is waiting for plotter with full buffer"
2 other plate sizes were small and gripped at short edge too, but it only errors on this one plate size. We reboot and build new templates, but error still returns.

Kodak/Fuji/Agfa "experts" are all at a loss.

Any ideas

Paul R Francis

UK

We're a web company that was until recently running 4 different web presses. Now we're down to 2.
When we run plates through our Lotem 8oo we get problems with one plate size only (708cm x 510cm, gripped at short edge), the error no. is 5230 and reads......"No room in buffers timeout....screen is waiting for plotter with full buffer"
2 other plate sizes were small and gripped at short edge too, but it only errors on this one plate size. We reboot and build new templates, but error still returns.

Any ideas

Paul R Francis

UK

High Paul,

Give me some more info on the type of Lotem800 you have and what is tour front end with software version. Also what type of link is between the Lotem and the front end?

High Paul,

Give me some more info on the type of Lotem800 you have and what is tour front end with software version. Also what type of link is between the Lotem and the front end?

Finger problems...........Hello Paul:)

I will take a shot in the dark but has a recent image resolution or other change been made to your Rip that would result in larger files going to the platesetter thus overloading its buffer?

I doubt this helps but I figured it was worth a mentioning.

Cheers,
Jon Morgan
Hopkins Printing

Hi Paul,

Did this plate size ever work in this orientation? If not, perhaps this is why.

There were several version of Lotem 800's. I found an old Creo Brochure that had three, may have been more. This is the plate spec for the Lotem 800.

Along drum x around drum
650 mm (25.6 x 19.3 in.) to 1,130 x 905 mm (44.5 x 35.6 in.)
with GTO option:
457 x 381 mm (18 x 15 in.) min

Are you saying that your plate is 510 mm along drum? If so, and you do not have the GTO option, the smallest size along the drum is 650 mm. If you have the GTO option is would be 457 mm along drum.

If you had a Lotem 800 II or Lotem 800 II Quantum, you minimum would be the same as the GTO option on the Lotem 800.

Regards,

Mark

Any ideas

Paul R Francis

UK

Any ideas

Paul R Francis

UK

Paul,

Try this and let me know the outcome:
"define the <drum speed> value in the screen set that you got this plate set up to. i.e. in your output dialogue you will see a place where there is no value in the Drum Speed. Have a look on the Lotem at what RPM is the drum set to , After inputing your drum speed value do not forget to save this template.
Good luck.

I will take a shot in the dark but has a recent image resolution or other change been made to your Rip that would result in larger files going to the platesetter thus overloading its buffer?

I doubt this helps but I figured it was worth a mentioning.

Cheers,
Jon Morgan
Hopkins Printing

No, as we get small files (ie black only overprints, addresses etc.) with exactly the same problem.

Paul.

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

Did this plate size ever work in this orientation? If not, perhaps this is why.

There were several version of Lotem 800's. I found an old Creo Brochure that had three, may have been more. This is the plate spec for the Lotem 800.

Along drum x around drum
650 mm (25.6 x 19.3 in.) to 1,130 x 905 mm (44.5 x 35.6 in.)
with GTO option:
457 x 381 mm (18 x 15 in.) min

Are you saying that your plate is 510 mm along drum? If so, and you do not have the GTO option, the smallest size along the drum is 650 mm. If you have the GTO option is would be 457 mm along drum.

If you had a Lotem 800 II or Lotem 800 II Quantum, you minimum would be the same as the GTO option on the Lotem 800.

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

we've a Lotem 800 II, and although i'm not sure if we have the GTO option or not, we had been running 2 other small plate sizes with the short edge along the drum, 524mm x 624mm and 523mm x 688mm and both of these worked without a problem. It's only the 510mm x 708mm plate that errors.

Paul

Hi Mark,

we've a Lotem 800 II, and although i'm not sure if we have the GTO option or not, we had been running 2 other small plate sizes with the short edge along the drum, 524mm x 624mm and 523mm x 688mm and both of these worked without a problem. It's only the 510mm x 708mm plate that errors.

Paul
High Paul,

High Paul,

Hi sorry for the delay in getting back.
We've got a Lotem800quantum software vers 3.51.02

and a brisque-impose software vers 4.1.76.0
operating system AIX 4.3.3.0

Paul

Hi sorry for the delay in getting back.
We've got a Lotem800quantum software vers 3.51.02

and a brisque-impose software vers 4.1.76.0
operating system AIX 4.3.3.0

Paul

Hi Paul,
Have you tried to put in the Drum Speed of your L800Q into the Drum Speed window in your Output Template for this plate size?

Hi Paul,
Have you tried to put in the Drum Speed of your L800Q into the Drum Speed window in your Output Template for this plate size?

Hi,

I can't see the window you mean, but our IT manager has said that this was all done a few weeks ago when we had an engineer in to service the lotem. (He couldn't work out the problem either?)

Paul.

Hi,

I can't see the window you mean, but our IT manager has said that this was all done a few weeks ago when we had an engineer in to service the lotem. (He couldn't work out the problem either?)

Paul.

Paul,

In your Output Template there is a place where you can input the Laser intensity and one for the Drum Speed. Usually these are blank as the platesetters values are used. Try and input here the Drum speed, save the template and expose your plate. Never assume.

can you not just put in the plate size as 524 x 708 in the front end and adjust your template to fit the plate.or if the length is the problem try that. I assume the creo centers the plate and works from the center. if the machine reads the plate size and errors out on it, consider buying bigger plates and cut down after imaging.

Last edited:
These tech services might be able to help out either on the phone or webex, since they are in the US:

Weber Systems 800-399-4294 216-831-0480
Bob Weber|Service Rates|Refurbished Digital Prepress Equipment|Imagesetters|Platesetters|RIPs|Scanners|Film & Plate Processors|Prepress Parts|Computer-to-Plate|Agfa|Creo|Linotype|Screen PTR|Imagesetter

Ace Tech Service 513-312-7154 or 513-673-9444
Don't worry about support on your existing Lotem 800V/Quantum. We are specializing in Creo Scitex equipment. We buy, sell and service any Dolev, Lotem, Trendsetter and existing Brisque workflow. If you think you are paying too much on your service agreement or can't get service at a reasonable rate, give us a call and we will take care of it. We won't even charge you for phone support. If you are thinking of replacing your older Lotem with the newer Quantum, I have a year 2006 in mint condition. Includes delivery, installation and warranty. Call 513-312-7154 for more info.

Unfortunately, we have the same poor (no) support from Kodak in the US for our Kodak (Creo) equipment. We got problems resolved by contacting other printers or companies after working with Creo 'experts.' Apparently, being down just doesn't matter to Kodak or their 'experts.'

Good luck

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back