Customers Frustrated With Overprint Preview

Skinflint

We have a few customers that insist we can produce pdf proofs that don't require them to turn on overprint preview. I can't seem to be able to create pdfs that contain transparency for example a halftone k image in a pantone filled picture box to render correctly with out turning on OP. Strange thing is, if I used the same same ps file we normalize through are workflow but use Distiller, the pdf produced views correctly with OP Preview on or off. Why is this?
Any info on the inner workings of what is going on here is appreciated.

I think with Acrobat 9, if the PDF is a PDFX1a, it will preview correctly (with overprint preview on). But a PDFX1a doesn't have live transparency, everything is flattened. Anyway IMHO, every PDF intended for printing should be viewed with overprints if this could help educate your customer.

The reason why your pdf's trough your WF are correct is becourse your WF is flattening your overprints.

Just explain your customers how they have to change the setting in Acrobat to always preview overprints, onse they did this this setting wil stay and they wil be able to view all pdf's like they should be.

We have a few customers that insist we can produce pdf proofs that don't require them to turn on overprint preview. I can't seem to be able to create pdfs that contain transparency for example a halftone k image in a pantone filled picture box to render correctly with out turning on OP. Strange thing is, if I used the same same ps file we normalize through are workflow but use Distiller, the pdf produced views correctly with OP Preview on or off. Why is this?
Any info on the inner workings of what is going on here is appreciated.

If you are using live transparency and also want to ensure that users with Acrobat/Reader 9 get the correct OP Preview - then make sure your document complies with PDF/X-4.

Another option is to use the new "Flatten Overprinting" feature in Acrobat 9 which will convert your actual OP operators into PDF transparency operators - that allowing the file to view in any PDF viewer that supports transparency (but not necessarily OP).

The reason why your pdf's trough your WF are correct is becourse your WF is flattening your overprints.

Just explain your customers how they have to change the setting in Acrobat to always preview overprints, onse they did this this setting wil stay and they wil be able to view all pdf's like they should be.

The pdf's through my workflow require the OP be turned on to view correctly. It is the PDF distilled as PDF-X1a through Distiller that previews correctly without OP on. Why is this that the PDF-X1a shows the overprint correctly I ask?

The pdf's through my workflow require the OP be turned on to view correctly. It is the PDF distilled as PDF-X1a through Distiller that previews correctly without OP on. Why is this that the PDF-X1a shows the overprint correctly I ask?

Wel if you go trough distiller it wil flatten your overprints, thats why it shows correct, there are no overprints annymore.

Because Acrobat & Reader 9 are setup to go into "Overprint Preview mode" when they detect a PDF/X file. It has NOTHING to do with Distiller.

Another option is to use the new "Flatten Overprinting" feature in Acrobat 9 which will convert your actual OP operators into PDF transparency operators - that allowing the file to view in any PDF viewer that supports transparency (but not necessarily OP).

Huh? I thought "Flatten Overprinting" flattens transparency and does not introduce it.

Huh? I thought "Flatten Overprinting" flattens transparency and does not introduce it.

Flatten Transparency will, if necessary, convert the transparency operations into overprint operations.

Flatten Overprinting will, if necessary, convert overprint operations into transparency operations.

If you have them both operating simultaneously, then most likely you get raster.

So, Distiller makes files your clients like but you're Normallizing to larger PDF files for them to download? Why not Distill the proofs?

Where do I find that feature then? I only know the fixup in Preflight called "Flatten overprinting (and transparency)".

It's a Checkbox in Flatten Transparency dialog ("preserve overprint"). It can also be done directly via Preflight, as you note.

It's a Checkbox in Flatten Transparency dialog ("preserve overprint")..
So again, the Flattener would not introduce transparency, right?

How about these notes then?
Flatten Overprinting will, if necessary, convert overprint operations into transparency operations.

I don’t get it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back