Didde 2 Color Web

blindside

Hi everyone,
I have an opportunity to pick up a Apollo Didde 2 color web, it is a 1990 model, I have always ran sheet fed presses (Hamada 600, Itek 975, 3200, and a 3985)so my knowledge of web press technology is limited to nothing!
My question is can you run 4 color work on that press? And if so is it very difficult?

Thanks in advance for all answers and help

Hi everyone,
I have an opportunity to pick up a Apollo Didde 2 color web, it is a 1990 model, I have always ran sheet fed presses (Hamada 600, Itek 975, 3200, and a 3985)so my knowledge of web press technology is limited to nothing!
My question is can you run 4 color work on that press? And if so is it very difficult?

Thanks in advance for all answers and help

Being 2 colour web press, you would not be able to run 4 colours by running the web through again.

If you tried, besides the direction of the image being flipped, you would have to do what is called "insetting" to register the first pass image with the second pass image. Insetting required a system that continually modifies the infeed web tension. This is done in order to match the print repeat length in the press of the second pass to the first pass. Normal register systems can not do this on their own.

Thanks Erik for the quick reply. As I said before my knowledge of web press technology is zero. Is that machine a good machine in general?

They are good, we have a 5 colour didde which is underused can sheet to A4. There fore we can print letterheads and box them as they come off the machine. Check roller condition as most of these machines are run with little or no maintenance.

A

The Apollo is really a web to sheet duplicator and I would not try to run any job on it that you wouldn't run on a ABDick or Ryobi or other duplicator. The bushings that hold the roller ends on these presses wear quickly, I would stock a supply of these.

We've been running Didde for years only got one that was a real dog. For the most part they are a good press. Ink coverage can't be too heavy or you'll see what they call gear streaks in the smaller Didde, like Apollo or 8 1/2 Tandemer. If you stick with duplicator type printing, you'll be fine.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back