Difference Effect and TAC

Sherbert

Morning Guys,

I've got a file here where the customer has used the Difference Effect to pretty much create an area of 390-400% TAC which is going to be hell to print.

I can change the Transparency to RGB Blend Space to get it to adhere to FOGRA 39's 330% TAC. But it'll obviously change the look slightly.

What would you guys do in this scenario?

Thanks,

Sherbs

In such cases we flatten transparency (of course with CMYK blend space) and then use a devicelink profile to reduce TAC.

Are the offending areas raster or vector?

Were you thinking of a global change to the entire document (not ideal), or a local change to the offending objects?

Presuming that you have Acrobat Pro, do you also have PitStop or PDF Workflow Software such as Prinergy?

Stephen Marsh

Device link. I can make you one if I know what profile(s) to use, desired tac and black strength.

I gave it a go on the supplied PDF, a revised PDF is attached with a total ink limit of just under 300%.

I used the Acrobat Pro Convert Colours command to convert only the contone image content to a F39 Max GCR style profile (not a devicelink), using the preserve black and primary solids options.

I then used PitStop Pro 12 to manually recolour the vector panels to the same CMYK build as the solid areas of the image (I may also have removed any blend mode and/or overprint info as seemed necessary).

I also noted that the original image resolution was not fantastic, however this may not be too much of a concern for the output.

Hope this helps,

Stephen Marsh

Attachments

• Cover-Pitstop-Edited.pdf.zip
    670.7 KB · Views: 177

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back