docucolor 6060

tppsg

Would anyone recommend buying a used docucolor 6060 w/Creo front end with 2 million impressions for the half the price of a new xerox 700? Loads of information in this forum about the 700 but could not find out much on the dc 6060 except for the offical specifications.

in the U.S., I wouldn't recommend it. Price of the used Xerox DocuColor 6060 might be 50% of a new Xerox 700, but you will probably end up spending twice as much on the DC6060 when you include Maintenance/Service and Supplies.

Don't just look at the price of the machine, but also include the maitenance, service, support, consumables, etc.

You seem to be in Singapore, so I'm sure it's a different story over there.

Yes, you are right. It gonna to cost a lot more more for maintenance and supplies on a dc6060. But the 6060 is a real production digital press, while the 700 is an office copier upgraded to a "production system"? How true is this?

There have been discussions in this forum that the xerox 700 is not a real production system due to limited set of printable substrates and the air-feed system not working for glossy stocks. How would the dc 6060 fare in this area?

I don't know much about the 700 but as the DC6060 is a development of the DC2060 that I have I can say that it would be worth getting one PROVIDED:
- you have technicians trained on it available
- you have an easy source of spares
When these machines run they really do and paper jams are almost non existent. I'm having issues with mine but that's mostly because of inexperienced technicians and having to wait for days for spare parts. I've now been promised better support and am waiting and hoping to see that it will keep my machine up.

Yes, you are right. It gonna to cost a lot more more for maintenance and supplies on a dc6060. But the 6060 is a real production digital press, while the 700 is an office copier upgraded to a "production system"? How true is this?

There have been discussions in this forum that the xerox 700 is not a real production system due to limited set of printable substrates and the air-feed system not working for glossy stocks. How would the dc 6060 fare in this area?

The Xerox 700 is a Digital Color Press; it is a production device meant to print reliably thousands of pages a month. The Xerox Customer Expectation Document for the X700 guarantees that the machine can print up to 110lb Cover Coated (Glossy) stock. Whatever you can run on a DC6060, can be run on a Xerox 700. The air-feed systems in the paper trays are even better than the what the DC6060 had, it's an upgraded version with 4 air blowers in each tray. The only that comes up to my mind that a DC6060 can do and that a 700 can't, is transfer paper.

Check this article :
Xerox 700 Digital Color Press Generates Profits for Print Providers Worldwide; Device Wins Print Industry Awards

if your thinking of running high quality products on the 6060 it WILL cost you a small fortune as they need constant servicing due to the poorley designed fuser. We have had many Xerox machines 2040, 5252, 6060 and now the 5000, you are looking at an engineer every 20,000 A4 impressions which is what the customer expectation doc will tell you. The 700 doesnt have the finess for screens and tints like the 6060 but it will run and run between calls, our 260 has only had an engineer call about every three or four months its roughly same technology as the 700

Great information! Thank you everyone for sharing. We are currently running on a DC 12 and a DC 260. I am thinking to replace the DC 12 with a used DC6060. Sadly, the 700 is out of budget for us as we are currently saving up for more finishing equipments. We are spending too many nights at the cutter these days.

We picked up a similarly configured 6060 with a Creo a couple years back and while the Creo has been a bit strange for us (in the way it rips files vs. our Fierys), the 700 seems to me like a glorified copier...we were demoed one when they first came out and we weren't impressed. The 6060 has a lot better image quality and registration...can't comment on the reliability of the 700 but I've used a 250 and I didn't care for it as a production machine... Our 6060 does get serviced pretty regularly, but we run it hard and we have a couple other color machines so down time hasn't been a huge issue.

If you get the 700 I guess the real question is can Xerox provide the supplies? Sounds like the answer is NO!

Just to let everyone know that we replaced the DC 12 with a 700 3 months back. While the 700 does have its limitations, it has generally met our expectations.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back