Fiery replacement

BigSi

I'm upgradinging my box. Old v2100 to not quite so old V3100i. Issue is-
The front end is no longer going to be a Fiery. Sorry can't remember what's its called CX ? something like that?. (I'm guessing Fuji film/fuji Xerox had a falling out with Fiery). Anyway! Looking at getting a Duplo DC-618 at about the same time.
It seems the Fiery templates are the way to go. What is the work around if you don't have a Fiery rip? Does the new Fuji rip have an alternative? (someone tell me what's it called). Do you just have to make something up in illustrator/indesign?. Is the standard Duplo software adequate? Just all the usual eg. x21up b/cards, x6up DL's etc...

Your thoughts/input are much appreciated.

thanks Simon

I’m not familiar with the Fuji rip, so can’t say anything about imposing on that rip. I have a Fiery on my V280 and have never paid for impose because I do all my impositions in Quite Imposing. There are other alternatives to Quite like Montax Imposer that will work fine for your simple and more complex impositions for use with the DC-618. You can demo both and both have very helpful support. Montax is less expensive and will do everything you need it to do for the DC-618. Both can save your imposition setups and both have hot folders, if you want to go that route (at a bit higher cost).

I’m a big fan of Quite but Montax will do a few things a bit better when imposing for the DC-618. The option to add the registration mark for the Duplo right to the imposition file is a nice feature in Montax and if you do any sequential numbering then Montax makes this simple for the DC-618. Sequential numbering or keeping mailings in proper order can be a bit tricky in Quite and requires too much brain power for me.

The software that Duplo has is easy to use and is straightforward. If I had to setup a job on the console I would be lost, I use the software to do all my setups and to send adjustments when needed. Good luck with your new toys!

If you have Fiery Impose with your current 2100 you should be able to transfer that license to any PC and continue using it to export imposed pdfs to load into the new 3100.
Our tech told us before it's not tied to the RIP it came on.

If you have Fiery Impose with your current 2100 you should be able to transfer that license to any PC and continue using it to export imposed pdfs to load into the new 3100.
Our tech told us before it's not tied to the RIP it came on.
Good to know Philip. I'll have to check I have an actual licence. I never personally purchase one as it came with the V2100. You can never assume these things. ta Simon

I’m not familiar with the Fuji rip, so can’t say anything about imposing on that rip. I have a Fiery on my V280 and have never paid for impose because I do all my impositions in Quite Imposing. There are other alternatives to Quite like Montax Imposer that will work fine for your simple and more complex impositions for use with the DC-618. You can demo both and both have very helpful support. Montax is less expensive and will do everything you need it to do for the DC-618. Both can save your imposition setups and both have hot folders, if you want to go that route (at a bit higher cost).

I’m a big fan of Quite but Montax will do a few things a bit better when imposing for the DC-618. The option to add the registration mark for the Duplo right to the imposition file is a nice feature in Montax and if you do any sequential numbering then Montax makes this simple for the DC-618. Sequential numbering or keeping mailings in proper order can be a bit tricky in Quite and requires too much brain power for me.

The software that Duplo has is easy to use and is straightforward. If I had to setup a job on the console I would be lost, I use the software to do all my setups and to send adjustments when needed. Good luck with your new toys!
Thanks Tom. All good information. ta Simon

The Fuji GX RIP is great. We prefer it to the Fiery's we used to have.
In terms of integration with Duplo, there is none built in, although it does have a great imposition engine built in.
We don't use any barcodes or such on the Duplo. Just have a standard set of jobs (which I will say is difficult to manage) and pull up the right one.
Using the registration mark on Duplo does slow it down so we don't bother - just adjust the first slit and cut if needed to match that stock.

The Fuji GX RIP is great. We prefer it to the Fiery's we used to have.
In terms of integration with Duplo, there is none built in, although it does have a great imposition engine built in.
We don't use any barcodes or such on the Duplo. Just have a standard set of jobs (which I will say is difficult to manage) and pull up the right one.
Using the registration mark on Duplo does slow it down so we don't bother - just adjust the first slit and cut if needed to match that stock.
Hi Josh. Good info. Sent a few enquires over your way over the last few months. Mostly digital di cutting. (Wedding's etc..) Hopefully not two rats & mice for you?. ta Simon

Good to know Philip. I'll have to check I have an actual licence. I never personally purchase one as it came with the V2100. You can never assume these things. ta Simon

Our Impose came with our V80 too. Recently I had Xerox replacing the hard drive on our RIP and he had to reinstall everything.
The tech contacted someone online to transfer the license which took a few minutes for them to reply, it was then he mentioned that the license can be transferred and suggested I do so when getting rid of the V80.

Hi Josh. Good info. Sent a few enquires over your way over the last few months. Mostly digital di cutting. (Wedding's etc..) Hopefully not two rats & mice for you?. ta Simon
Thanks Si. Was one of them the petal fan one? That went ahead and looked great.

As your 2100 will be going to scrap ask if you can keep the fiery - or even just slide it out of the way when the press is all wrapped up.

Thanks Si. Was one of them the petal fan one? That went ahead and looked great.

As your 2100 will be going to scrap ask if you can keep the fiery - or even just slide it out of the way when the press is all wrapped up.
Hi Josh. Yep, it had a leaf shape (I think her name was Tara). Good thinking about the rip. Conveniently put it behind a door:)
Xerox used to be a bit funny about these things hoping Fuji film might be better.

Just an FYI.
Not Rip based, but a standalone Imposition solution that integrates with Duplo devices and will work with any Rip.
Will also drive multiple print engines as it's not tied to a Rip.

You would be looking at the Impostrip Pro version and it would then import the templates from the Duplo.

Just an FYI.
Not Rip based, but a standalone Imposition solution that integrates with Duplo devices and will work with any Rip.
Will also drive multiple print engines as it's not tied to a Rip.

You would be looking at the Impostrip Pro version and it would then import the templates from the Duplo.
Thanks Andrew. Looks good, all so looks expensive:). ta Simon

Well it's certainly not free Simon. But it's modular so you can pick the package that suits you today and then add-on and extend functionality as needed. If you want to talk to someone about pricing just PM me.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back