Fonts, Servers and our new iMac

txcynna

So... after beating my head against a wall for bit before I realized that my 'document fonts' don't install when opening an indesign file from our server because they all show as having 0k files... I have a question.
They will work if I burn a cd to move the files, or zip a file and upzip ON the iMac. I'm going to have to start working on the iMac sooner or later, because the natives are starting to mumble about spending the money and it just sitting there.... If I have to zip all the fonts on the server then that's what I'll do BUT... is there an easier way?

you could download a copy of the fonts from cd/dvd to your desktop and those should be ok. Then just zip those and replace the ones on the server.

I misspoke earlier today. The problem is actually retrieving the fonts via the network...

I had started packaging my indesign files because I knew about the auto install feature in CS5. I thought that's easy enough and look! I'll be ahead of the game! (planning for that magic day when I got CS5) On my older machine the font folders and fonts look fine and actually have a file size, on the iMac the SAME files have a 0k file size. It's annoying and, while it did not take that long, I feel like I wasted a lot of time trying to get ahead. LOL!.

Apparently when on the iMac, I cannot retrieve the fonts through the network without them becoming 0k files.

I'm just gonna grab all of them and burn em to a cd or 'zip' them and put them on the iMac I think. I'm annoyed. Chocolate might help. Thanks for your input.

Does the older Mac run 10.5 and your new iMac run 10.6? If so I am guessing your are storing your files on a SMB type server? Then the way 10.6 writes or see's files on this type of server is different then 10.5.

p

I think Prepressguru is correct on this one.
Snow Leopard (10.6) does not come with Appletalk, as far as I know and that is what you need to talk to server so your fonts are not 0k (this is only for old PS type Mac fonts, TT and OT fonts are not affected with this).
Another solution would be to install Leopard (10.5), than upgrade to Snow Leopard which would keep Appletalk.
Eventually future will be without Appletalk as Apple will not support it any longer and will be obsoleted so you will have to embrace the "new world order" and either suffer withs zipping and unzipping fonts or buy upgraded Open Type version of the font.

Since InDesign 5 and 5.5 ...
if there is a folder named "Document Fonts"
in the SAME folder as the InDesign document ...
InDesign will recognize those fonts and use them.
When you "Package" a file this folder is created.
Great thing is that this folder can contain MAC or PC fonts
and they all will be recognized.
You can create this folder - it does not need to come from Packaging.
This is now older technology
and the only problem will can be with collecting the
the fonts from enbedded .ai - .pdf - .pdp files.

You can .zip them - transfer them over the network (depending on the compatibility of your PC network) -
or whatever.

MSD

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back