GMG upgrade to 5.1

jbarrie

My company is in the process of upgrading our current version of GMG (4.5) to 5.1. The interface looks quite different than what I'm used to seeing with 4.5. My question is: do you think the upgrade is pretty easy to learn or would it be advisable to get in-house training? Would the application tech support be able to walk me through in the creation of the MX3/MX4 profiles over the phone? The bottom line is we are not sure whether we should pay for the in-house training or not. If I already understand 4.5, is the new version so much different?

Jeff

Just went through this myself. We decided to forego the in-house training for the same reasons you describe...we were pretty well versed with v4.5. Upon installing the software, it was clear that that we'd need a bit of assistance, and we had GMG support walk us through the initial set up for v5.1 via remote connection/phone support (for a fee I should add), and it went ok, but it really would have been money well spent to have the in house training. Profiling is the easy part, its really the interface and reconstruction of the workflow/architecture that changed, making it essentially a completely new application. I'd strongly suggest a few hours of set up consultancy via remote connection at a minimum.

I agree with Mike. GMG ver 5.x (current is 5.2) is so much different that you should get a day of training. It could be GMG team or CM consultant but it makes sense to do it.

I agree the difference in interface is substantial & takes some getting used too, we have been using it for about a year now & I only just feel like I know my way around. Having said that creating profiles is the same as is adding spot colours so I suppose it depends how often you will be creating new hot-folder based workflows & how much spare time you have got to figure it out yourself.
Defiantly worth getting somebody in the handle the installation & migrating your workflows across, if you sit in on that then it may be enough.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back