Illustrator Layer issues

MJNC

Hey PrintPlanet Inhabitants;
I am creating an Illustrator file (CS5) and have a layer question that I hope y’all can help me with.

This is complex doc so the elements are stacked using layers.
When I add sub-layers, each time I reopen the doc I have to reclose all of Top Level layers again.
Then the sub-layers won’t lock/unlock or view/hide-view with the settings of their Top Lever layer and I have to go into each Top Level layer and turn all the sub-layers locked or visibility options on or off manually.

I am pretty sure that there’s a way in Illustrator to
A; make the doc open up with only Top Level layers viewed in the layers palette, and
B; make the sub-layers toggle view and locked options with the setting applied to their Top Level layer

I know its a minor thing, but after 2 weeks on the same project its driving me crazy (as is I needed a ride!).
I appreciate any and all advice!

Thanks in Advance,
_mjnc

Peace to the PrintPlanet!

Hey PrintPlanet Inhabitants;

A; make the doc open up with only Top Level layers viewed in the layers palette, and
B; make the sub-layers toggle view and locked options with the setting applied to their Top Level layer

Peace to the PrintPlanet!

You are right about A. and B. too. I guess you will have to delete Illustrator settings file (.plist) on the mac, not sure where it is on a pc.

If you you have made yourself a heavily modified settings file and don't want to delete it you can fiddle with the Panel Options... in the Layers fly-out menu and set it so it only shows the basic layers and without the toggle triangle, Show Layers only check box. At least it is a quick way of closing all the layers.

(Also, if you have such a precious settings file make sure to keep a backup of it.)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back