indesign linespacing question

wonderings

Running Indesign CS4 on a mac running 10.6.3

I have some text that I pasted in from Microsoft word. I have not seen this before, but there appears to be to much space between 1 line and another. The last line of a paragraph and I cannot adjust it to make it look like the rest.

Screenshot2010-04-13at103626AM.png

Screenshot2010-04-13at103650AM.png

Anyone see this before? Is this a glitch? Is there a fix for this?

thanks

When I see this happen, it's because the last character in the paragraph (the carriage return) is formatted with extra leading. Try quadruple-clicking to select the entire paragraph, then enter your desired line spacing.

I have tried all of the above and it still persists. I am just going to cheat and do a baseline shift of the "bad" lines. Thanks for the suggestions.

Allways use 4 clicks to select a paragraph so there are no rouge characters when you change the leading.
Also there is an option to "apply leading to entire paragraphs" in the preferences, on the type pane :)

Maybe it is something as simple as the "Space After" setting
in the typography toolbar.
Make sure it is all set to 0 (or whatever)

MSD
-----

I have some text that I pasted in from Microsoft word. I have not seen this before, but there appears to be to much space between 1 line and another. The last line of a paragraph and I cannot adjust it to make it look like the rest.

I turned on hidden characters and see nothing new pop up. Nothing seems to change in the view when I say show hidden characters. Its deffinetely a strange one

I turned on hidden characters and see nothing new pop up. Nothing seems to change in the view when I say show hidden characters. Its deffinetely a strange one

You won't see hidden charcters if overprint/output preview is on.

I've had this problem before, and the work-around I use is by taking all text, pasting it into a notepad document (to remove all formatting) and then pasting it back into a new text box in InDesign, and then formatting as desired. If you reformat using Paragraph Styles, it's possible the problem will return.

I've seen this problem where every paragraph in a text box adds extra spaces between the last line of the paragraph, and I've seen it where only the last paragraph in the text box has the extra spacing. If you find out the exact cause be sure to post back because I'd like to know.

Check the baseline shift of that entire line of type. It's entirely possible that someone could have been adjusting the baseline shift thinking they were adjusting the leading. (I've attached an screen grab illustrating the possibility)

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 159
Check the baseline shift of that entire line of type. It's entirely possible that someone could have been adjusting the baseline shift thinking they were adjusting the leading. (I've attached an screen grab illustrating the possibility)

Thanks for the suggestion, but thats not it. Its at zero. I actually used baseline shift moving up to match the look of the rest of the paragraphs, not the best solution but it worked and it allowed me to get the job done and printed. Its probably something weird from Word, I am guessing what Jason said about pasting into notepad and then into indesign would probably work. I will give that a try when I have some free time to play around with the file some more. Thanks again guys.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back