Is it the perfector?

NicolasD

We have a 2001 SM74. We got it used a few years before I arrived and i don't think the installation was done properly. We print correctly at 6000 ph. When we go faster, there is a problem in the register between second and third unit. We asked the guys from heidelberg to come and fix the problem. After one full day. They told us that they can't do anything. This is a problem that happens when there is a perfector...
Is it true or do they not know how to fix it?
And they charged me...
Please note I am in a third world country.

It's a machine, it can be fixed.

It's a machine, it can be fixed.

We had a similar problem on our KBA. Misregistration issues after the perfector in straight printing mode. It has since been corrected.

It might cost you a big pile of money, but I'll bet it's something that can be fixed or at least improved to a point where the difference is negligible.

I've never come accross a perfector that couldn't run at least 10 000 cph in straight or perfecting mode without problems even on machines more thatn 10 years older than that.
It clearly can be fixed or were the engineers trying to tell you that Heidelberg made a press that wouldn't work properly from new? I'd like to have seen the demo on that at drupa where they explained to potential customers that it was good at 6000 cph! What exactly did they charge you for if they didn't do the job you asked them to do?

it is common that machines dont register aswell between perfector units but i dont think it should be noticable until 11,000 an hour max especially on a heidi and even after that depending on the type of work you print (quality wise) youll probs be able to get away with it.
I'd be inclined to think the problem hasnt been their since new if you are seeing it at 6K/h. I've run old rolands that Were from mid 80's that ran well at 8/9 K/h perfectors

Last edited:
We had four Heidleberg perfectors at one time, now we are down to two.

The main problem is usually a cam follower or the perfecting gripper bar. The bearings on the ends of the bar don't get greased properly and they wear out. You can replace the bearings but sometimes the gripper shaft is worn thin on the ends and the whole bar needs to be replaced. The setting of this bar is also absolutely critical.

We have had this repair done numerous times on our presses and were told by one of the best Heidelberg technicians that the bars and parts are good for about 30 million imps.

The replacement bar is very expensive and could have been previously discussed with your owner and the technician may know if it is not replaced, there is nothing he can do.

Did your company test print this machine before purchasing? If it was fine then, you could be correct about the install and should go back to the installer.

some times you just get a bad mechanic. call the regional manager and tell them you want the best mechanic. this is fixable. I had one mechanic tell me I needed new segments for the perfector. wanted to spend $20,000.00 of my money. told me they could not fix it with out the parts. in fact he made it worse. I got a better guy to come fix it. 2 days and $500 in parts and it works perfect. no more slur and dropping sheets.

Is it the perfector?

If the units you are having fit problems with are on either side of the perfector (or pincer bar) it is more than likely that a component on the bar has worn.

A quick check can be on the fixed gripper on this bar. If it moves when you a try to move it with your fingers there is back lash in the gears. This can be recitified using a good engineer. They can shim the gears to improve the gear meshing. If this doesn't improve in some cases a new or reconditioned bar can be fitted but you may still have problems with the gear racks (there is one for straght printing and one for perfecting) so these would need checking before spending lots of money.

Check also the gripper tips too. It is also possible to reset all the grippers along the bar.

We have had the same gripper bar in one of our presses for 298 million impressions so they do last with proper maintenance.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back