Kodak trillion plate/ uv inks

REYES1377

Anyone out there using this plate with UV inks? We are a long run shop and are having no luck. The plates last 30,000 impressions. They say these are rated for 5000,000 impressioins. I have never seen that, i will be happy with 80 to 90,000. Of course every consumable in the shop is being blamed. If anyone is using this and experincing good or bad I would love to hear. Thanks!

Hi Reyes1377 -

Trillian SP is rated for 500,000 impressions unbaked, and we have many users achieving that and more. However, with UV inks and press chemistry it's rated for less. 30,000 does seem much lower than we'd typically expect (100-150k depending on setup), so we would normally look at things like your press chemistry, cleaners, washes, and so forth to see what was attacking the plate.

I assume they've already looked at prepress and optimized the plate exposure? Being a negative working plate, the more you expose it the "harder" the image becomes (to a point, but you can also get some side-effects like dot gain if you go overboard).

They should be doing chemical "drop tests" with each of the chemicals that the plate might be exposed to in your press room - and sometimes combinations of those chemicals are worse than each one individually. Depending on the type of wear, there may also be mechanical effects in your particular press setup to look at.

However - no matter what the cause, we shouldn't be just "blaming" one thing or the other. We should be working with you to clearly identify what's causing the issue, and finding an alternative product or process to alleviate it. If you need any help achieving that let me know (and private message me your company name and contact details).

Kevin.

Is this a new problem or did you recently start getting short plate life out of the plates you use in your shop? Do you change between UV and conventional inks?

If so, do you get better plate life with one ink vs. the other?

Just curious.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back