Looking for software to emulate an oldschool Itek camera

rcreveli

We've acquired a new business and have a customer whom supplies artwork every month pasted up on graph paper. The artwork is a collection of photos, inkjet prints, magazine photos and text. The project is monthly and is 20-36 pages. It finishes as an 8.5x11 Saddle Stitched booklet.

The way it's being done now is each pages is being shot on a press camera as film. Each 11x17 for usually has a double burn on each side. I think you all can see that this is not the most labor effective way to produce this.

It takes the guy producing film about 4 hours

When we tried to do this in Photoshop it took us about 30 minutes per 8.5x11

What I'm looking for is something like the AB_Dick press tek scan master system. I can scan the page as a TIff or PDF and the designate areas of the page as non-printing, halftone, screened etc. Then send the finished forms to the DTP unit that we are installing next week.

Retraining the customer is not an option. She's been doing things this way for 25 years and enjoys doing it.

They do pay a premium for the service but, I don't think they are getting the quality I want to give them.

Thanks in advance.

Ray

Call some of the used equipment suppliers in the back of the surviving print periodicals they might be able to help. I've always found Bob Weber helpful with legacy equipment.

Agree with Joe - that's wayyyyy over the top. Scan it as line and tone. Pop the images into Quark/InDesign - any page makeup package. I'd give one of my ops and hour to do this, end-to-end....

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back