Methods for reducing static on Duplo 646

COGordon

Hello Everyone,
I am running into some serious double feeding issues with my Duplo 646. On anything lighter than card stock it wants to double feed. I've spoken with company that services our machine and they gave me some dial settings but they unfortunately they haven't made much difference. I believe the issue maybe static related. I have prepped our jobs on a jogger with anti static spray but that hasn't helped much either. Does anyone have any advice?

My running joke with our Duplo 646 is the D in Duplo stands for double feed. If you find a solution, please share.

Have a look at the anti static equipment from Meech International. They came to see us a few years back and demo’d an anti static wand you could fix above the input or output to, in our case a laminator or cutting table.

Whist we didn’t buy one, as it’s performance on the laminator (which is what we really needed it for - exiting double sided gloss jobs) was poor, the effect of eliminating static exit problems on the cutting table was most impressive. You do need the on site demo to ensure it works for your own situation.

Have a look at the anti static equipment from Meech International. They came to see us a few years back and demo’d an anti static wand you could fix above the input or output to, in our case a laminator or cutting table.

Whist we didn’t buy one, as it’s performance on the laminator (which is what we really needed it for - exiting double sided gloss jobs) was poor, the effect of eliminating static exit problems on the cutting table was most impressive. You do need the on site demo to ensure it works for your own situation.
Interesting. I hadn't heard of that. I will check it out.

Try some metalic christmas tinsel, drape it over the paper and earth it to the machine frame, if nothing else it will give your place a festive feel lol

I used to have problems with this. One factor was getting rid of our km 6085, as everything off that had a lot of static. But I have a cheat sheet of settings I use every time I have text weight and I don’t have many issues anymore.

My duplo settings for text weights:

Air - 4.5
Thickness - 1
Elevator - 6
Do not use weights and keep the feed bar upright
Side air - off
Fan reg - off

I point an Anti Static Ionizing fan at the feed section on my GW 8336 and it helped a lot with static. The C2S would be like bricks stuck together but the fan took care of it.

Amazon.com
I use a similar ionizing fan and it works well. I've only needed to use it a few times on the Duplo but it works great on text stock coming off my Rollem after scoring. Great thing about these is that you can move them around to where you need it. Try it at your feed table on the Duplo or at the delivery end of your press.

My duplo settings for text weights:

Air - 4.5
Thickness - 1
Elevator - 6
Do not use weights and keep the feed bar upright
Side air - off
Fan reg - off
I know where the elevator, separator and airflow controls are but where are the others located?

As others have mentioned about static tinsel. Make SURE it screwed onto bare metal. Also use that big side guide as it keeps all the front air inside the pile rather than letting it escape out the sides. Then that smaller guide with the slide part. Use that at the tail end to hold back the double sheet.
Also Duplo sells that air iron jogger. Customers say its a game changer for static but a bit pricey

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back