Need advice on Printing PMS 542

Sometimes the smallest job can get me into the largest problems!
A cleint of mine ran a business card with another printer on Cougar Smooth Cover - 130 lb Double Thick. The result, apprarently, was rejected because of the mottle of the colour mentioned in the title: PMS 542.
Of course, now he wants me to take a crack at it and because he is a good client, I can't say no - y'all know how it is!!!
The formula of the ink is as follows:
75% - Pantone Trans White
3.1% - Pantone Yellow
21.9% - Pantone Reflex Blue
I assume that the high percentage of Trans White is causing the problem.
I am looking for any expert advice and direction so that I can achieve a smooth result on an uncoated cover stock. Client does not want to print on Silk or Matte coated.
If any of you have a suggestion on how to solve this INK issue I would appreciate it.
Also, if any of you have had success with a Double-thich stock other than Cougar please let me know.

IMHO.....I don't think it should be a problem on a smooth cover regardless of the thickness. My guess is that the previous printer mixed the ink wrong or weak and he had to push it to get it to match which is what caused the mottle look.

If you DO have a problem with it laying down smooth you could always replace some of the trans white with satin or dull varnish. That should help.

Here's the formula from our software. I didn't convert it so it could be the same as yours, but I figured I'd include it:

.812 trans white (13oz)
.161 Relex Blue (2 5/8oz)
.028 Yellow (7/16oz)

Good Luck!

542 is a tough color especially in light coverage situation. we used to print that color for a customer 2 or 3 times a month. damn designers. after years of working with them on the color they let the cheap skate printer just print it as pms 293. for some reason that was okay. but not hitting 542 was a major issue. atleast they just started specifying 293 to everyone at that point.

Hold out 20% of the transparent white and replace it with opaque white. This will allow the ink to lay down smooth and the white will help mask the highs/lows in the offset stock.

Not sure if it's made double thick but a stock like mowhawk superfine cover or perhaps even dulcet would have a smoother surface.
If your running it on a multicolor press you might try switching around your sequence a bit. Running it last would have it not hitting another blanket after it's printed but then again I've moved inks up the press a bit and gotten smoother results after using subsequent units on impression to smooth things out. Just one of the mysteries of print I guess!!!
Someone earlier mentioned mixing the ink stronger. This sounds to me like the action I would start with. The opaque white suggestion is also a good one.

The mottle is the paper texture showing through and is a problem on any uncoated paper with a "colour" containing a high % transparent white (which is essentially varnish :p ).
We have at times printed a % of a darker pantone colour so that it is a raster rather than a mottle, which is more acceptable. I know of others that make a mixture replacing some transparent white with silver since silver doesn't look very silvery on uncoated paper but gives a less transparent ink with a very similar colour. There was another thread with a similar problem search the forum for transparent white.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back