New DocuColor machine (in Fuji Xerox territories)

Keness

An interesting new machine has been released in the Fuji Xerox territories. It is a new engine design, and is clearly very similar to the DCP 700 engine, but is is a single-drum 4-pass machine like the DocuColor 12. It uses the same EA-Eco toner as the DCP700 and 800/1000.

Incidently, the DocuColor 12 engine is still very popular in Fuji Xerox territories. Although it never got any faster, there were a few revisions to the machine beyond the level of the DocuColor 12. For example, there was a version adapted to the EA toner and oil-less fusing.

The DocuColor 12 engine based machines have a strong foothold in the low-volume graphic arts market. That is where the new "DocuColor 1450" is positioned as well.

It is 14ppm color 50ppm black and uses the same accessories as the DC250/DCP700 lines. (Though only the "office" finishers and not the bigger light-production finisher, apparently.)

This may remain a Fuji Xerox only model. I have a hard time seeing Xerox buying into the idea. Though based on its design and some of the features they detail, I suspect it could very well excel at proofing and very-high-quality work like photo books. Single drum designs do have a few advantages when it comes to color balance and color consistency, and they seem to stress its consistency from first to last print even much more than they do for other faster machines.

But the most interesting thing I saw -- and there is no mention of it other than a diagram and could only be my wishful thinking -- is that carousel, which holds the toner cartridges and developer assemblies, seems to have more than four positions... The 1450 is only a CMYK machine, but the carousel very clearly has two additional positions. Perhaps they've designed this engine with the future possibility of a 5th and 6th color, like the clear toner on the 800/1000.

I've attached the diagram of the rotary carousel and the accessory configuration chart from the brochure.

Just mentioning it for curiosity's sake, and since Fuji-only models often go unnoticed.

Attachments

• DC1450.jpg
    DC1450.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 234
  • DC1450-Config.jpg
    DC1450-Config.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 213
You may have a Canon imagePRESS C1+ in the US and now

You may have a Canon imagePRESS C1+ in the US and now

dear Keness,

the Canon imagePRESS C1+ is the same type of machine.

1 drum, 14 ppm Color - 60 ppm B&W, but ...

- Clear Toner (5th toner)
- 2007-launched technology (no 1999 as the DC12)
- V-Toner
- It is a True Miniature Press (it holds the very same technology of Production imagePRESSes).

The good thing is that you can have it all over the world.

Cheers,

Andres
Madrid, SPAIN

I don't know why there is SUCH a culture of "mine is bigger than yours" in this forum. It's very unpleasant.

But to correct a fact in your message, this is not a 1999-technology Doc 12 derived machine. It is an entirely new design. Just as the C1 was an entirely new design compared to the CLC machines it replaced.

I don't know why there is SUCH a culture of "mine is bigger than yours" in this forum. It's very unpleasant.

But to correct a fact in your message, this is not a 1999-technology Doc 12 derived machine. It is an entirely new design. Just as the C1 was an entirely new design compared to the CLC machines it replaced.

Sorry if that was deemed unpleasant.

I didn't mean to send a "Mine is better, bigger, higher, faster, stronger, ..." message.
My point was just that "You may have a similar model (...same type of machine...) here and now"

Anyway, I don't hide that I do work for Canon now, as I did work for Xerox in the past.

Good night to you in California

It wont sell bugger all. In 2007 the imagePRESS C1 was a big hit but in 2010 the demand is little. Clients will take the Xerox 700 or the new 550 or whatever its called and take speed over small quality compromise. If they do bring in clear who cares as Andres said Canon already has that product its called a C1+. Im not sure you will get much excitment from this new box.

I think it will do pretty well where Fuji Xerox markets it, especially Japan where the Doc 12 variants have always done well, even to this day. But for the very reasons you state, that is why I said I don't see Xerox buying into it and selling it, and it will remain a Fuji Xerox-only machine.

If speed isn't an issue, the one-drum machines really do do a better job at color consistency since there is only one drum to worry about (especially at its price range), but the difference isn't that big any more. And of course the higher-end machines from all manufacturers have one form or another of on-the-fly color calibration.

I wouldn't buy it, but only because of the speed. I'd probably get whatever replaces the 700. (Best fit for me is smaller than 800/1000, bigger than 550/560.)

The mechanical engineering nerd in me, however, always gets excited when I see a whole new engine design, by any of the majors... ;)

i work in Australia which is FX territory and i can assure you it wont go well here. Single drum technology is crap imo. Its difficult to keep clean and is noisy and vibrations make this technology unreliable. every manufacturer who had sinlge drum office kit have walked away from it. If you want high quality proofs buy a large format 12 colour inkjet with RIP for less than $6k.

What is the advantage of having a revolver over multiple drums ?

The main advantage is that since there is only one drum, as it "wears" and gets used and whatnot, it affects all colors exactly the same, since it is used for all colors. It certainly doesn't mean it is impervious to color balance shift, but it is generally more controllable, and even when it does shift, because it affects all colors simultaneously, rather than independently, the effect of the shift is not as harsh.

Still, modern machines do a much better job at staying on top of color balance, so it isn't as big of a deal as it used to be.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back