New in print business, need a device!

Hello everybody,

I am new in this forum, so first I would like to say hi:)

My company deals with printing on CD media and PVC cards, now I am thinking to move and start working in print business. I am thinking to print (business cards, flyers, invoices, brochures, envelopes, menus, etc). If possible printer should print up to 400gms.

Now I am looking for a printer / press. What do you recommend me? In our contry is strong competition, so prices are not as high as should be, so I must consider this in my machine (cost per print, maintaince..) so I could be competitive.

Also, because I try to be realist, I think at first I wont have long run business, but more short (i expect from 10.000 to 15.000 copies per month). Later I hope business will expand.

So I am looking affordable machine, which will have as lowest print cost as possible, with excellent print quality:)

Please also tell me which Cutter do you recommend me or are there any presses that have cutter and trimmer installed in its machine?

Because I am new in this business please tell me what are normal price structure (how much % goes to material, and how much % is your profit).

Thank you for all your help!

P.s. What do you think of Xante Ilumnia and OKI procolor?

Best regards,

Hi, Oki or Xante are not bad machines for these quantities but unless you can get a all-inclusive contract with it - all consumables will cost a fortune also they're a little unhappy to run glossy stocks - tend to put light background shade. 400GSM - I am not sure that this machines are capable of going this high, cover this thick - usually it is $100,000+ machines that can ran it. If running something more like 14pt cover is what you think is good enough - KM-C6501 is good machine and highly regarded on this forum and everywhere else pretty much. There is also incredible printer that fairly new on the market but should be really good - MGI Meteor DP60 - Google it - I am sure you will it interesting.
If you'd consider getting a nice used machine to get started I can get OKI ES-3640 or Xerox Phaser 7400 / 7760 or Xerox DC240/250/260/242/252/262 or Konica-Minolta C6500.
Oki or phsers are $1800
Docucolors 240... are $9-10k
KM-C6500 about 12000
We can crate and ship worldwide.
If you have a descent budget - look at MGI machine.
Biggest problem with Xerox Phasers, smaller Docucolor - 240 and so on and OKI, Xante is the fact that thick cover can only be fed trough by-pass which gives you about 100-200 sheets capacity, registration and skewing problems where bigger machines can take thick cover out of large capacity trays. I have to babysit my OKI as it goes trough by-pass full of 12pt cover every couple of minutes. Having few thousand sheets run is kind of inconvenient.

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.
I looked everything, and MGI Meteor DP60 is out of my price range.

I am looking for used KM-C6500. Do you have any? Please tell me if this machine can also print on plastic - PVC cards (I saw that MGI can), and also with which configuration should I buy in begining?

What about printing costs? Do I need to sign a contract or I buy consumables when I need them?

Also please tell me which cutter can you recommend me?

Best regards,

Konica c6501 with Creo

Konica c6501 with Creo

Hello,

I have found one Konica Minolta c6501 one year old.

Please tell me what to do regarding konicas service (what do you recommend?)

- Do I sign contract for CLICK (the representative of Konica wants little more for Click - although printer has service book with them) - Previous owner had only maintanance service.

- Do I sign only maintainance service contract - When I need it - and I buy toners by myself ?

Thank you for your help

Hello,

- Do I sign contract for CLICK (the representative of Konica wants little more for Click - although printer has service book with them) - Previous owner had only maintanance service.

- Do I sign only maintainance service contract - When I need it - and I buy toners by myself ?

Thank you for your help

I would probably recommend going the click charge route, depending on what sort of volumes and print jobs your looking at, the cost of service/parts and toner can pretty quickly have your machine not making you any money.
Especially because this is a used machine (whats the count on the machine?) you never know what may need replacing in the near future.
The majority of production machines that I know of through konica are click charge.

Hello,

Machine has 1,3 Million prints and had signed service contract with konica - is this a lot for this machine?

I will print brochures, business cards, stationery....

What do you think?

What should be right click charge for this machine?

Thank you for your help

Hello,

Machine has 1,3 Million prints and had signed service contract with konica - is this a lot for this machine?

I will print brochures, business cards, stationery....

What do you think?

What should be right click charge for this machine?

Thank you for your help

1.3mil is very little, most machines last between 15 and 20 million depending on service, what your running and so forth. I would guess that you would be looking at on average 20-50k impressions a month, which would mean you'd be looking at 20+ years out of that machine and at that point you'd probably be looking at getting something newer.

Unfortunately I cant comment on the click charges as its different for every printer

Hello,

Thats right.

I also have one option to buy Konica C6000 without creo, but It is much expensive.

Is c6000 better machine or only in "better package"?

What do you recommend me;) I must decide tomorrow:)

So question remains - with click contract or only service contract.

I think If I can bargaint with Konica to give me a good price for click, I will go for click, otherwise no.

Problem Is that thay thought they will sell me new machine (c6000) and now I am going for used, and that increased click charge:)

The c6000 is a better machine. (The c6501 would be the better package deal as its essentially a 6500 with a few bug fixes) but depending on what/how much your going to be running probably not be worth the cost.
I would also recommend having an external rip like the Creo of the fiery for a print environment. (If your looking to save a bit of money, the Fiery's starting costs are cheaper)

Personally I would recommend going with Click charges as it ends up being less for you to worry about with costs. I would look at what the bottles of toners cost vs your click charge.

konica

konica

Hello,

Thanks for advice.

These used Konica c6501 comes with external creo and a lot of plugins for half a price of c6000 without external controller, what do you think?

Or do you recommend me that I buy new C6000 and latter purchase external controller?

Please be very honest how much better is c6000? Is this like day and night, or just a little better?

I would like to print very quality business cards, mini cards, brochures, etc..?

Thank you for your kidness and help!!!

We have a 6500 in shop here (and I left Konica Minolta before the 6000's came out) so I have no personal experience on the 6000, But for a company just starting up I would say the 6500 (6501) would probably be a better buy considering the pricing and options. I know on the 6000 they improved some things with colour registration and some internal stuff. From the samples I've seen the gradations are better because the 6000 is a higher DPI machine and the colour gamut has increased somewhat, but not night and day. We were able to match a proof pretty close to what the 6000 produced off of our 6500

The 6500 is still a very competitive machine for whats out there in the market today.
Other printers on here may also have other opinions.

Thank you,

Lets put it this way, the money is not a problem (for new C6000 with internal rip), I just want to buy better machine, but here is the problem - only internal - I dont have enough money to buy creo or fiery rip for c6000. Is external controller necessary (they say that I can do everything - because their internal rip has improved - buy I dont belive them).

What you would buy if you are in my place?

Pricing now for c6000 is very good, and still I think I could bargain more.

The 6000 is a better machine for sure. It wont be night and day but still better.
The external rips are not necessary to run the machine, and yes they can do the majority of the same things print wise as the internal rip. However with the external rips allow you to do alot more in terms of workflow. With the Externals you will have its own workstation which will allow you to re-arrange jobs in que, change job properties. The creo will also have stuff like imposition software which will be handy for business cards (its an option on the fiery)

Your rep should be able to tell you all its functions

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back