Office 2007

dkinsac

Hello to all. We are running Windows Vista Ultimate on a 64 bit system. I need to make a pdf from a word file and no can do. I downlaoded a program called "All to PDF" but can't get it to work. Do I need to buy Acrobat or is there a way around this?

Danny

Last edited:
Well, if you have Office 2007 then use the Save As PDF/XPS plug-in from Microsoft or something like Nitro PDF. But if you don't have Office then you can take a chance on OpenOffice 3.x.

There are all kinds of pdf creators out there, including freeware. CutePDF Writer got a good editorial review by PC World CutePDF Writer | Office Download | PC World

Adobe even has a subscription online service for creating pdfs, and you can get a free trial https://createpdf.adobe.com/.

But, if you're going to be making pdfs regularly and you need to have better control over the pdf settings for your press environment, Acrobat may be worth the investment.

Hi Danny

There are a lot of different PDF solutions out there for Word. If you're not using Postscript fonts then the PDF export plug-in from Microsoft works the best. Note that you have to install this separately, it's free but it doesn't come with a standard Word install.
Download details: 2007 Microsoft Office Add-in: Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS

Other than that I'd second the recommendation for Cute PDF. The quality of the free/cheap PDF print drivers varies enormously. I've seen issues all sorts of issues with some of them, especially with embedded fonts.

I've been steering customers towards Cute PDF for a while and it's worked out well. It doesn't produce quite as clean of a PDF as Acrobat would (fonts are embedded but the font naming gets a little weird) but it's easy to setup and generally gives good results with non-publishing programs like Word or Publisher.

Shawn

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back