PIF Card Questions

chevalier

I've done a fair amount of googling and I can't nail down much info about PIF cards. I'm trying to move a RIP for a legacy piece of equipment from a degraded server equipped with a PCI-X PIF card to a new server only equipped with PCI-E slots. I figured hey, call up the vendor who made the equipment and see if a trade or purchase can be made. Not much luck in that endeavor.

Questions I can't seem to find answers to:
Are PIF cards generic (can any PIF card talk to any PIF cable input device) or are they paired to specific devices?
Do PCI-E PIF cards exist?
Can a PIF card be bridged?

Not really an answer to your questions, but all new Apologee installs down here get done with a PIF to ethernet box now.

When I worked for Compose Systems, we sold a LOT of PIF cards - if I recall, we even sold a few that went into Dainippon Screen systems.

Devices Supported

I would contact : Tom Sit - his email is --> [email protected] and be specific with what system and devices you are trying to connect - always good to send pictures !

Xitron has a diferent approach, where they connect into a box - you might contact them

Xitron Harlequin RIP and Adobe PDF Print Engine Workflow Solutions, ink key presetting solutions

Xitron USB interfaces are available for most prepress imaging systems on the market today. Included in the list of supported devices are over 250 imagesetters, platesetters, and direct imaging presses from Screen, Agfa, Kodak, Presstek, AB Dick, Heidelberg, ECRM, Ryobi, and Fujifilm.

Hope this helps !

Thanks for the info guys. This is a Fuji FinalProof and must be driven by Fujifilm PD Pro software. I am pretty sure (at this point) that the imaging components are made by Screen, the film components by Luxel and it is packaged together by Fujifilm.

Fujifilm wants to sell me a new stand alone server for the machine. I don't think I could sell the FinalProof itself, with laminator and the existing server for the much more than the quoted new server.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back