Preps 6.01

Gulli

Can someone tell me how to build a Template with two sections 16 page each, perfect bound with collation marks in Preps 6.01 and get it to image both collation marks.
I always get this: "Collation smart mark did not image due to current folio page numbering". when it prints. So i only get collation mark on the first section

Thanks in advance.

Gulli

Have you ever used this successfully? Which collation mark are you using? Are you adding it to the signature as a static mark or as a smart mark? Are you setting the heigh as a multiple of the step distance? Mixed files work, or pdf/pdf? Have you explored the Preps Help?

Al

Hi Al.
Thank you for your reply.
I have used Preps 4 and 5 with Preps plus licence. There we do not have the multi sections ability. But they say we have it in Preps 6. I work in pdf and use collation mark A. There are no static marks only smart marks in Preps 6. There is no problem with the stepping of the mark but i only get it to print on section 1 although both marks show up in the press run preview window. Yes i have explored the user manual and the videos about multi sections on eCentral. I think i need some more help.

Hi Gulli,

If by sections you mean as in web sections, that's not part of my experience. so I am not able to be much help. Also, I am limited to 5.3.3. Out of curiosity, would rotating the mark 180 degrees make any difference?

Post you question on the Gua forums at Preps - GUA Forums

Al

If you can give me an example with numbering scheme I can make a multi-section template in Preps 5.3.3 which can be used in Preps 6. We do them quite often with collation marks on both sections.

I usually use Preps 4 on OS 9 (I have 5 on a Windows machine, but prefer the OS 9 version). There is no provision for having two signatures on a form, and I'm not sure our RIP would handle it if there were. So as far as Preps and the RIP are concerned, the form is just one signature even if it's actually two or more. I place the mark for the first signature on the form normally, then place the mark for the second signature offset by the step distance, so even though the RIP will position both marks for the first signature in the first position, the second signature's mark ends up in the right place because it's position is pushed forward by the step distance. I always use "signature collation mark C" for the offset marks so they don't have an incorrect sig number on them. I made generic empty templates that contain zero pages, and if I rip a job that has 16 signatures on 8 forms, I alternate the zero-page form as the 2nd, 4th & 6th "signatures" and tell the RIP to not render them. This causes each form's signature number to be advanced by two instead of one in order to keep the marks in the right places. The other benefit is that each forms "signature" number corresponds to the first signature on the form, instead of representing the form number.

I've got my own thread about collation marks on the GUA forum not working when Heads are in different directions on different sections. I still can't get it to work with Preps 5.3.3

However with Preps 5 if you want more than one section on one sheet you used to only be able to choose it at creation but with 5.3 you can add it later.
When you then set the page numbering tool you choose a page number and a section number.
With two 16 page sections you also have to number the pages 1-16 (1) and 1-16 (2) not
1-16 and 17-32. You should then get a single Smart Collation Mark to put a mark in both positions.
I always forget to limit the Text slug line to just one section :eek:
It gets complicated in Preps to assign section numbering to sig numbering and there doesn't seem a way of doing this from within prinergy (using the Prinergy Signature Selection dialogue).

I've got my own thread about collation marks on the GUA forum not working when Heads are in different directions on different sections. I still can't get it to work with Preps 5.3.3

However with Preps 5 if you want more than one section on one sheet you used to only be able to choose it at creation but with 5.3 you can add it later.
When you then set the page numbering tool you choose a page number and a section number.
With two 16 page sections you also have to number the pages 1-16 (1) and 1-16 (2) not
1-16 and 17-32. You should then get a single Smart Collation Mark to put a mark in both positions.
It gets complicated in Preps to assign section numbering to sig numbering and there doesn't seem a way of doing this from within prinergy (using the Prinergy Signature Selection dialogue).

That's true. To do a job in Prinergy with a multi-section template you have to have Prinergy open a blank job in Preps and fill it with blank pages, assign your templates with section numbering and then print it back into Prinergy as a PJTF.

Prinergy PSS

Prinergy PSS

That's true. To do a job in Prinergy with a multi-section template you have to have Prinergy open a blank job in Preps and fill it with blank pages, assign your templates with section numbering and then print it back into Prinergy as a PJTF.

This can be done in Prinergy Signature Selection (PSS). Provided the template used has multiple sections defined. Then when you Auto Select or Add to the 'sig list' the dialog will automatically assign the section numbers incrementally. Once you get to a point that all pages/sections are assigned you can click okay to complete the import. Or you can actually go to the individual lines where the sections are listed 1,2 for example and change them to be 1,6. BUT Since PSS does not have all the Preps features you will also need to change the low folio for the respective sections you change. So if 1,2 had pages 1,33; then my new section change 1, 6 will have a new page count of 1, 161.

To be honest, though, I think it is easier to do this in Preps ;)

Cheers, tapin2

Last edited:

The key here is that in the Smart Signature Collation mark you must define the "Restrict to section" <choose number>. Then the sig coll mark will be applied to and only that section. In fact I recommend that if you are doing a lot of multi section work, build your Smart Sig Collation marks you to the max number you will use, say 4. Then put all of them in one Smart Mark folder. Preps will let you add them all to a Press Run, but it will only apply those needed as needed.

With respect to sig marks not moving in the right directions. Check two things. one you can adjust the step direction to a negative value, seems illogical but it works. Two, the Profile does contain a line:
-SMARTCOLLATION_STEPFROMOFFSETORIGIN:NO try adjusting the NO to YES or vice versa. Lastly, we did find a bug with respect to Saddle Stitch sig coll marks not going into the right location, i.e. placing on the wrong side of the form. That has been fixed in 6.1 - coming soon!

Cheers, tapin2

This can be done in Prinergy Signature Selection (PSS). Provided the template used has multiple sections defined. Then when you Auto Select or Add to the 'sig list' the dialog will automatically assign the section numbers incrementally. Once you get to a point that all pages/sections are assigned you can click okay to complete the import. Or you can actually go to the individual lines where the sections are listed 1,2 for example and change them to be 1,6. BUT Since PSS does not have all the Preps features you will also need to change the low folio for the respective sections you change. So if 1,2 had pages 1,33; then my new section change 1, 6 will have a new page count of 1, 161.

To be honest, though, I think it is easier to do this in Preps ;)

Cheers, tapin2

We have a need to change, for example, 1,2 to 1,1 occasionally (same pages in each section) and I have never been able to get the PSS tool to allow me to enter the same section number for both locations.

Can someone tell me how to build a Template with two sections 16 page each, perfect bound with collation marks in Preps 6.01 and get it to image both collation marks.
I always get this: "Collation smart mark did not image due to current folio page numbering". when it prints. So i only get collation mark on the first section

Thanks in advance.

Gulli

I,

In the preps 5 is easy to create a template with several sections,
create a normal template with one section, after selecte this and copy & paste, after this you have one templete with 2 sectoins, now number each page with the corresponding number.

Thanks

Larapio

Hi Al.
Thank you for your reply.
I have used Preps 4 and 5 with Preps plus licence. There we do not have the multi sections ability. But they say we have it in Preps 6. I work in pdf and use collation mark A. There are no static marks only smart marks in Preps 6. There is no problem with the stepping of the mark but i only get it to print on section 1 although both marks show up in the press run preview window. Yes i have explored the user manual and the videos about multi sections on eCentral. I think i need some more help.

Only smart marks? I wonder what impact this would have on making/using regular templates with Preps 6. We have 5.3.3 and are thinking of upgrading.

Which OS do you use?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back