questions about Imposition Studio

wonderings

I am looking at Imposition Studio, software looks nice, though very different then Croptima which I currently use and seems to be out of business so I need to plan for the future. I have been setting up a job that we have printed already, a 32 page magazine. Have it imposed, worked really well and simple. I impose based on the sheet size we are printing on, so in this case it is a 19x25 sheet. This is a regular job that comes every 3 months. Pretty much everything we print is centered on the page, in this case though it is not. How do I move my imposed image on the sheet towards to gripper? Basically from the edge of the sheet (gripper edge) to the crop mark I want a distance of .875". Where do I make this adjustment? Feeling a bit lost in this program as it is completely different then croptima, though looks much much more powerful, which it should considering the higher price tag.

In the Output Mode / Machine / Paper of the Signature & Imposition Setup, you should be able to change your gripper settings.

I have been using Imposition Studio for a number of years even though I have Preps. I just seems it is so much quicker and easier to use IS so I almost never use Preps. The short coming of IS is that you can only go 2 decimals out. Might be a problem with your .875.

In the Output Mode / Machine / Paper of the Signature & Imposition Setup, you should be able to change your gripper settings.

I have been using Imposition Studio for a number of years even though I have Preps. I just seems it is so much quicker and easier to use IS so I almost never use Preps. The short coming of IS is that you can only go 2 decimals out. Might be a problem with your .875.

Thanks, that is what I was looking for.

Going to keep playing around with this, not in a rush to purchase at the moment, but want to be ready and fluent in the app for when I do. Croptima is much simpler and does less, but I liked the direct integration with indesign. I do like that I can basically bypass indesign with some jobs that come print ready, just drop the pdf in Imposition Studio and away I go.

Did you purchase Imposition Studio direct from their website or through the Apple app store in OS X? I Was curious, if purchased through the App store, would you be able to run more then one copy at the same time if they were logged in with the same apple id.

Last edited:
Don't how it would work with the App Store, try that and let me know. I purchased it years ago and actually gave him a bunch of feedback on changes and enhancements that were then made to the app. I do need to get after him about the only 2 decimal point, and occasionally I have a issue with transparencies if the color management of the file is not correct. Best to convert to a profile in Acrobat and or flatten the PDF in Acrobat when that happens.

Another question. Sometimes we get a bunch of business cards from one company. In this case 4 names. I want to gang them all together on a 12x18 sheet, 6 up each. I can impose it all, but I am getting 1 card per sheet. Where do I set that I want 6 of each name on the one sheet?

Double click on each page which brings up page properties. There you can enter the page numbers for each card. You will also have to match the back then.

Double click on each page which brings up page properties. There you can enter the page numbers for each card. You will also have to match the back then.

Thought there would be an easier and more automated way of doing something simple like this. I see how this works though, just hoped for something easier and more automated.

Really liking this app, have been playing with it the last few days and think I have just about everything down for when I transition. There is one annoyance I cannot figure out. I have an 8 page book that will be saddle stitched. It imposes it no problem, but the imposed page order is backwards, so if I was going to print on our Versant and have it fold and stich, the cover would be printed on the inside rather then the outside. I have an imposed PDF, 4 pages.
Right now the first form has pages 2 - 7
second form has pages 8 - 1
third pages 4 - 5
fourth pages 6 - 3

I have attached screen shots. How do I make Form 1 Front have pages 8 - 1, basically reversing the order it has?

I think it is just a matter of double clicking on your page on 1 front and tell it what page number of the pdf you want.

I think it is just a matter of double clicking on your page on 1 front and tell it what page number of the pdf you want.

So I am manually re ordering an imposed file basically? The whole point should be to automate and prepare a print ready file quickly. This is a big negative in my opinion. Not one that is likely to sway me away from purchasing when the time comes, but it is a negative. I should be able to get a print ready pdf when I am done, not have to re-order pages in imposition studio or acrobat just to get it to print properly.

So I am manually re ordering an imposed file basically? The whole point should be to automate and prepare a print ready file quickly. This is a big negative in my opinion. Not one that is likely to sway me away from purchasing when the time comes, but it is a negative. I should be able to get a print ready pdf when I am done, not have to re-order pages in imposition studio or acrobat just to get it to print properly.

Once reorder you can save that as a template. Not sure why it defaults 2 and 7 on 1 front side.

Imposition Studio updated to v5.0

impositionstudio_main_win_small.png

What is new in this version
• Added Step & Repeat.
• Added Group Cut & Stack.
• Added Gang Run Method.
• Added Barcode Support.
• Added OMR Marks.
• Added Manual Override Page Numbers.
• Added Individual PDF Page Transform on Size, Position and Scale.
• Added Mixed Full & Half Form Output.
• Added Calibrated Layout Preview with ICC Profiles.
• Added Backdrop PDF Support.
• Added New Creep method.
• Added Customisable Colour Bars.
• Added Transparent Pages.
• Added More Register Mark Options.
• Added embedding icc profiles method.
• Improved Section Sewing.
• Improved Automated Work-flow.
• Improved Preview Speed.
• Improved Output Speed.
• Improved File Size optimisation.
• Updated PDF Engine.
• More Templates Added.
• More Signature options Added.
• Many bug fixes.

PDF User Guide
http://www.devalipi.com/resources/Imposition_Studio_User_Guide.pdf

Screenshots
http://www.devalipi.com/screenshotis.html

Download
http://www.devalipi.com/download.html

More Info
http://www.devalipi.com/moreinfois.html

I have been using 5.0 for a month or so now, some nice improvements. You can now do .125 whereas before you could only do .12. I still wish it would go one step more so I could add bleed for .0625. **edit** looks like you can do that now.

My problem of the front page being on the second master page is now resolved with this update.

They did add a manual override so you can do some custom impositions. It does not work exactly as I would like it to, but I think it has to do with how automated it is. I wish each page was complete custom so I can do whatever I wanted to even if it does not make sense.

Still getting used to it, but I am liking the app. I do wish it was made for a ultra HD screen though, looks bad on my iMac 5K because of the high resolution. Works great, just seems "dull" in comparison to apps made for the 5K and retina screens.

I should add support has been amazing for this, I have pestered them quiet a big trying to get my head around a few things, their response time is very fast. Even had them reply early Saturday mornings, very helpful!

Last edited:
I have been looking at this lately too. So far I like what I see, and it does seem better than Croptima. The manual isn't very helpful tho' and i'm trying to see if this is worth paying for, so I need to know how, if at all possible, to do a booklet layout with the cover as a work and turn, and the balance as 8 page sigs. It seems to want to add in blank pages, or delete pages, but so far I've found no way to make the cover fall on a seperate sheet as a W&T.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back