Roland VersaCAMM VS-640

Mike F

Anyone use one of these, or have any experience with it? We're getting one installed on Friday, just found out literally a half hour ago, so I'm starting to do research to see what I'm gonna be getting into. Obviously I'm gonna look elsewhere, but I've come to find that printplanet usually provides some solid advice, so I figured this is where I'd start. Any feedback at all is welcome and appreciated.

next day edit: So now that I've done a bit of research, I have a very serious question... is this able to be run without the RIP software they include, and if so, is the printer itself compatible with OSX? The way they're talking up the RIP software it seems like you have to do everything through that, and quite frankly, we don't have a decent windows machine in the shop capable of running it.

Last edited:
Mike,

What the VS640 is is pretty much the old VersaCamm 540 platform stretched out 10 inches and with some extra colors added. It's a brand new offering from Roland and I've only seen one, but from what I've seen of it, I'd say it's a typical VersaCamm with benefits, so to speak. Meaning that it will print pretty well, as long as you don't try to get a lot of speed out of it.

As far as the RIP goes, by your questions it sounds like this is your first large-format solvent printer.

So, yes, as with any other brand or make of this type of machine, you must run it through a RIP. There are several RIP's out there, all of them with their own strengths and weaknesses, but it so happens that at least at the moment since that machine is so new, only VersaWorks--the RIP Roland sells with the printer--will drive it.

This is because none of the other RIP manufacturers have a driver for it yet. And I say this from painful personal experience since Onyx promised me a driver for this very same machine two months ago...and I'm still waiting.

However, no, the machine will not run on OSX or any other Mac. VersaWorks is PC only, as is Onyx, for that matter. If you wanted to run it on a Mac, your best bet would most likely be Caldera, however there's no telling when they might have a driver for the thing. (Onyx has told me that the VS-640 driver is the most difficult driver they've ever had to make.)

In actuality, Versa isn't a bad RIP, and it runs the machine just fine. My only real gripe with Versa is that it has no PMS library and Roland's print-a-bunch-of-swatches and match them work-around is pretty bush league.

One thing I'll go ahead and suggest at this point though is that if this is all new to you, you'll come out money way ahead to have someone--read me--come out and dial the machine in, profile it in your environment--and get you started on the right path.

Mike Adams
Correct Color

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm actually kind've new here, started at the beginning of December. I had no previous printing experience so I'm learning as I go. Luckily I have a pretty solid computer/web background so it hasn't been too rough, I'm mostly in charge of Storefront but I also sometimes make plates for late approvals if noone else from this end is here or they're about to leave, and I do some light prepress work here and there too.

Anywho, looks like we're gonna have to figure something out then. The most recent Windows machine we have that I know of is about 5 years old and was formerly used as a server before we upgraded, so I'm thinking we may need to get a new rig along with it. Thanks again for the info, and if anyone else has any other comments or suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Help needed

Help needed

Hi,

i am having a problem with my printer
i have divided the file in to three parts and the rest of the settings are the same as required.
but its keep on repeating the same part again and again could any one help in this matter.
its urgent please.

i have to meet my client deadline

thank you

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back