rules/regulations/legalities reguarding IPA useage in canada (ontario)??

Albert Noel

can anyone point me in the right direction for this?
just curious about the use of alcohol in printing here in ontario.

What is it you are looking to find out? Human Exposure rules? How much can be in a facility?
Ventilation requirements?

What is it you are looking to find out? Human Exposure rules? How much can be in a facility?
Ventilation requirements?

yeah that pretty much sums it up
whether or not it's frowned upon in Ontario or just flat out illegal to use in printing?

obviously, whmis guidlines and the msds of the ipa should tell me, but i am looking for basically what you said.

Last edited:
yeah that pretty much sums it up
whether or not it's frowned upon in Ontario or just flat out illegal to use in printing?

obviously, whmis guidlines and the msds of the ipa should tell me, but i am looking for basically what you said.

Well, basically what you are looking at is a chemical that has been used in the industry since god knows how long. It is definetly not illegal, however it's practice is slowly being phased out.

Considered a significant source of VOCs, isopropyl alcohol has received considerable
attention from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and Canadian Agencies over the past 10 years.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has set maximum exposure limits at 400 parts per million (ppm) over an eight-hour timeweighted
average or 500 ppm for 15 minutes.

Current information indicates that there are no long-term health effects associated with IPA.

As far as Alcohol Substitutes go, they offer an opportunity to dramatically cut VOC emissions from a press because substitutes are used in lower volumes on press than IPA and the low volatility of substitutes means that little is needed to replenish the dampening solution over the course of a day. So exposure levels are minimal in comparison.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back