Safety of ink and signmaking chemicals

adamfilip

Im trying to determine the safest and best tools to use for signmaking.
im concerned for my workers and myself.. for there short and long term health using these products.

We work in a mixed office/production environment and people are always mentioning the smell from my department.
ive been working here for a long time and I cant barely notice the odor of the vinyl, laminated, chemicals and inks.

We mainly use chemicals to remove vinyl adhesive residue on Sintra (PVC),
currently we use 3M adhesive remover.. with a orange Citrus odor.. I actually like the smell.. but many dont.. im more concerned about the safety of using these products long term.. I supply masks and gloves to protect my workers.. but I would be happy to switch to a safer product if there was one.. I have been reading MSDS sheets but they all cry "Danger"
even when the product seems safe.

We currently have two Roland Versacamms.. running ECOSOL MAX inks
Anyone have any concerns with roland inks and working around them.. and the printers long term?

I use 3M Ij35-C as my goto vinyl,

use 3M Adhesive remover Citrus aresol cans to remove vinyl residue
we also use 99% Iso Alchohol for general cleanup

We also have and use Rapid Remover.. which I hate it turns adhesive into a pile of sticky goo, and is greasy

Also Use rapid Tac II, Rapid Prep, Plastic Prep, Rapid Clear

Please let me know your thoughts

Sounds to me like you are not only doing your homework but are doing things to be as safe as possible... good for you. We print, therefore lots of chemicals are used.. I follow the MSDS as my bible, if I don't like the way it reads the chemical is not allowed in my shop. Safety means I can sleep at night.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back