Small Shop looking into CTP

Hello all, First post on this board. I've been searching the forums for weeks now. I have a couple of questions and open for suggestions for CTP...
We are a small shop, currently 3 people and growing although in this economy not as fast as I would like. So here are the facts:
1. We have an AB Dick 9810 with T-head and a Ryobi 3302.
2. Most of our work is 1-2 spot color work with occasional 3-4 spot colors. All of our process work is sent out.
3. We are currently using the HP5000 with Laser poly plates.....ugh! They work OK for what they are, we only use them on the 9810 for line work, 500-1500 imps, single color runs.
4. For the rest of our work i.e. 2+ colors, critical registration, half tones and screens and all of the work on the 3302 we send out for negatives that are output @150 line screen. This involves emailing the files to our provider then within 24hrs driving approx. 10 miles round trip to pick the negs up, (10x13 neg = $15 each) then stripping and plating the jobs.
5. We are making approx. 5 plates a day including the poly plates which I wouldn’t mind dumping totally.
6. I have been talking to reps from Glunz & Gensen (Platewriter 2000), Mitsubishi (ECO 1630) and Presstek (DPM 34sc). All are around 30K… We have pretty much decided to stay away from the G&L as everywhere I turn people seem to say stay away. Although we ran a test plate and liked the results. From what I here the machine itself has issues. I can pick up a 3 year old DPM34 plate setter for around $10,500 which sounds much better than $30,000!!!!! Although it is a couple of years old and we would need to pay for training etc….

That my short story, any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Re: Small Shop looking into CTP

Greg we are a larger print shop than you but we run a fair amount of 2 & 3 color small format work (8.5 x 11 & 11x17) work - we have a presstek dimension coupled with a xitron xenith rip, to be honest we have had some issues but mostly they are on our 4up presses. the smaller plate sizes seem to work fairly well for us.

So I would say that a presstek setup should be good for you guys and for what you are looking to do.

P.S. I don't have experience with any other CTP systems the presstek system is the only one I have used - good luck

Hello everyone

I am also interested we are a small, shop, we have
1 gto 1 color
1 gro 2 color
1 gto 4 color
1 lino 560

what would be a nice ctp to start with?

thanks in advance

Alex Jourdan

How about looking into the Jetplate system. Inkjet technology using metal plates. I think I read the whole system can be purchased for under $40,000 (U.S.). Sounds like it might be something that would make sense for a small to mid-size shop. Glunz and Jensen has one too, but from what I've heard, it's not ready for primetime yet.

Greg,
The used DPM34 you can purchase locally for 10K may be a wrong move. As you probably know the PTEK service department in that area has just about disappeared. You may purchase the machine and find the Rip will not work with your present software set up etc. The laser or stepper motor could be going bad and on and on. The cost of training and networking if needed and of course the service contract in case of a laser or stepper failure.
The ECO1630 I am familiar with also and I find it to be a perfect match for a small shop like yours. It is not a drum based CTP but it will still produce excellent quality plates. The shallow tank design is a real plus also. The plates are not proprietary like the Presstek models are. So in your area you will have several sources of service and supplies.
I service a small shop with a 9850 8920 and a 9985 and they love their ECO. They refuse to deal with the Ptek people after what they did to ABDick. Mitsubishi makes really good products.
IMHO the toner and ink jet based CTP systems are good for short runs and low quality.

Best of luck to you sir.
OG

Thanks for all of the input. the Mitsu rep that I have been dealing with has been saying the same about Presstek but I thought he was just trying to sell his product. I went to another shop today and tested the Mitsu platesetter...I was very impressed with the speed, quality and ease of use. Any other input is appreciated. Thanks!

Hello, Friends.

First You have to run a ROI that is more like what you spend on plates and what you need to make for your investment to really work for you. it might sound wrong nowing that in this time the CTP is the So Called Option of today. but depending on how many lates you make a month, it might be cheaper to buy a Filmsetter. Cause here in Mexico, it is more profitable to buy a 8 up ctp or filmsetter than to buy a 2up or 4up ctp. and i think it is kind of like that any where, i am a reseller of this kind of equipments, but if you want to buy a ctp for you shop i think the one from JetPlate would be a good option as they sell you the hole package, CTP/RIP/PROOFER/PROCESSOR. so for your money it might be better to go the option for that one as they are really the ones that "invented the process", and have more expirience than G&J. so i think it would be a better option for you.

Hi, I have used Pressek for about 4 years now, Been thru the acqsition of ABD, and the change of their service department. I felt TSI were great service people the ABD guys do a fine job. But putting that aside the machine is very dependable, easy to clean and service. I have done much of my own repairs including installing lasers, adjusting and aligning them. It is not rocket science. I think the Presstek with the water wash will be less problems than the processor upkeep alone. They have several plates you could try, we are currently running the Aurora Pro, but have ran the Anthem, and Applause. Originally the size of the machine and equipment was a decicing factor in our choice, the process free plates were a added plus.
Work for us, Bill

Hi Greg,

We are a larger shop; 5/C 40" Heidi, 4/C 40" Komori, 2/C 40" Miller, 5/C 28" Komori, ABD 9810 & Multi 1250 w/T-Head. We have the Zenith Xitron rip, Preps and the Agfa Galileo CtP with inline processor. We use AGFA LAP-Violet plates. Way less energy consumption and minimal heat than a thermal system. Plate runs above 100M. We went from a Dolev 800 filmsetter to this system pretty easy. The only thing I don't like about this system is the messy maintenance...but ya gotta do it.

Mark

You can get into an imagesetter very cheaply.(5K-10K) If you buy a drum system with a punch you can also virtually eliminate stripping. If you have the extra money about 30K to invest you can find a laser system CTP. Some used ones are available too for even less for your 2-up needs. I recommend something that will image the new processor-less plates.

As far as Ink-Jet based CTP systems are concerned, STAY AWAY! These systems are problematic due to clogging of the print heads and the vector (logos) and type quality is far below than what your customers will except. They also have higher per plate costs as they have proprietary inks and/or plates and you will be wasting a ton of them when you run into a clogged head.

Hope this helps!

All the replies here have been good suggestions, it depends if your workflow is ready for CtP, and have looked at the ROI of CtP metal or polyester.

ECRM is an excellent company to research for violet CtP solutions, metal or poly. All of our equipment is built around value and the premise of easy to install and operate, with ROI built in hence, "competing by design" .

Check out our website for information, or contact your dealer.

www.ecrm.com

DPM has worked good for us

DPM has worked good for us

We have exactly the same press line up as you, but we do all our process color in house. We have been using a DPM 2000 for the last 9 years and have had almost no problems with it (1 sensor 275.00) The plates are very good quality up to 150 lpi. We use the 8mill poly as it seems to be fairly reistant to streaching up to 25000 imp. When somthing major goes like the laser marker I'll probably go with the Mitubishi, allthough I would not rule out a newer DPM if the price was good and the machine cheched out ok. I am still a bit choked that we pay considerbly more per foot for the same plate material that is available on a 3" core instead of the propritary cardboard cassette!:(

Ctp

Ctp

Hi,

If you are looking for a CTP that could fit your size try with a representative at JetPlate systems, where you can find the very fist inkjet technology for metal plate with a complete workflow system at $29,900.00 including everything.
Erick

Hello all, First post on this board. I've been searching the forums for weeks now. I have a couple of questions and open for suggestions for CTP...
We are a small shop, currently 3 people and growing although in this economy not as fast as I would like. So here are the facts:
1. We have an AB Dick 9810 with T-head and a Ryobi 3302.
2. Most of our work is 1-2 spot color work with occasional 3-4 spot colors. All of our process work is sent out.
3. We are currently using the HP5000 with Laser poly plates.....ugh! They work OK for what they are, we only use them on the 9810 for line work, 500-1500 imps, single color runs.
4. For the rest of our work i.e. 2+ colors, critical registration, half tones and screens and all of the work on the 3302 we send out for negatives that are output @150 line screen. This involves emailing the files to our provider then within 24hrs driving approx. 10 miles round trip to pick the negs up, (10x13 neg = $15 each) then stripping and plating the jobs.
5. We are making approx. 5 plates a day including the poly plates which I wouldn�t mind dumping totally.
6. I have been talking to reps from Glunz & Gensen (Platewriter 2000), Mitsubishi (ECO 1630) and Presstek (DPM 34sc). All are around 30K� We have pretty much decided to stay away from the G&L as everywhere I turn people seem to say stay away. Although we ran a test plate and liked the results. From what I here the machine itself has issues. I can pick up a 3 year old DPM34 plate setter for around $10,500 which sounds much better than $30,000!!!!! Although it is a couple of years old and we would need to pay for training etc�.

That my short story, any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Attachments

• Quality Press.pdf
    735.6 KB · Views: 262
How about this

How about this

Another route is to see if your prepress supplier has anyone in your area that would not mind offsetting the cost of their ctp. You create plateready pdf's and they output the plates for you. We are a web based company and output plates for a much smaller sheetfed house. It didn't work out in the end...but it had nothing to do with operation...more to do with the sheetfed owner was very pushy and ignorant.
Worth looking into....???
cheerios
Gumby

Thanks to everyone for the input. It looks like we are going to go with the Mitsubishi platesetter. I've tested several plates, price seems reasonable for us, I'm tired of stripping and burning plates!!!! We've workd a deal for 28,500. We will probably be doing more of the process work in house once we are up a running - so that should help with the ROI. Any other thoughts? Thanks!

Good choice in your selection. The Eco 1630 is a great machine that is manufactured by Screen for MII and is very solid. Pay close attention during the install to the maintenance procedures for the processor, follow them to the letter and you will have perfect plates for a long time.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back