Smart Review Broken After Java 7 Update

Thanks for the update Tom, that confirms what I posted.

Sadly for Mac users, Apple have decided to "hard code" Java updates into the Mac OS, and to my knowledge there is no simple or easy way to uninstall a particular Java update. The last time I had issues with Java, it required reinstalling the OS and after that one has to be very careful not to update to version that may break a Kodak product. The issue then becomes a security issue, as one may not be running the latest security patched Java.

Stephen Marsh

Quote from Kodak 12-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Affected workflow & versions: Kodak InSite Prepress Portal and Kodak InSite Creative Workflow (Tested on the latest release versions but assumed to affect all versions of the listed workflows).
We have confirmed reports that the upcoming version 7 of Java for PC platforms prevents the user from launching and running Smart Review with all currently supported browsers.
The Kodak development team is currently investigating the problem and strongly recommends that end users do NOT upgrade to Java 7 until further notice.
Please note that Java 7 is currently not distributed in an automated way by Oracle and therefore requires a manual download & installation.

If you have already installed Java 7 & want to continue using InSite Smart Review we recommend that you uninstall this version and reinstall Java 6 build 29 according to the instructions posted on the java home website until the problem can be resolved.
Note: When re-installing Java 6, please ensure to install the OFFLINE version.
InSite Storefront is not affected

05-23-2012, 12:19 PM
InSite Prepress Portal/Storefront 6.5 is planned for Early Production release mid next week. There is a limited number of Early Production slots, please contact your Response Center to request a slot.

InSite Creative 4.1.1 (build 3755) there is a drop in fix, which can be requested from your Response Center.

I've been told by Kodak that the release of 6.5 has been delayed due to some "ugly bugs" that were found in Beta and EP testing. The real kicker here is that the update to 6.5 is only free if you are a full support customer!

Just FYI guys, I'm also having trouble uploading packaged .drwn VDP files, personalizing VDP items, and pretty much anything that involves Java. Is there any way to have both 6 and 7 installed? Really hate rolling back and leaving my machine vulnerable.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back