Sun Chemical SunLit Crystal

GregoireL

Hello,

I'm looking for reviews about this ink : SunLit Crystal.
I've already read some stuff on Internet about it, but it's often the same press release from Sun Chemical : this ink has no default according to this press release, of course.

Have you already use this ink? Heard some critics about it?
Overall, how to choose an ink? Which criteria ?

Thanks a lot for any responses!

Grégoire L.
From France.

Get an ink that will DRY. Don't buy into those duct fresh, stay open type of inks that are flooding the market.

You shall benefit in the long run.

D

I'm sure someone will chime in regarding the product. Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with duct fresh /stay open inks, providing they are formulated correctly. Providing that they are formulated correctly, they will save you money in the long run i.e. (No skinned up ink in the can or ends of the ink fountain resulting in fewer wash ups.)

My recommendation is to get a sample of these inks, put them on the press, run a few jobs, and see if they meet your requirements. However, I wouldn't run them on any critical work or large runs.

No skinned up ink in the can or on ends means, inks don't dry. It is an oxidative process. They may 'set', but they don't 'dry'.

And less than 3% of the stay open types are 'formulated properly'.

D Ink Man

I havent heard or run that particular ink. I have run sunlit diamond & titan, both are a hybrid veg/petr ink set. I didn't care for the diamond as print quality and dot structure was poor. The titan prints a little better but is suited for super fast dry jobs.

Toyo hyplus 100 is duct fresh, but only for a limited period. It will skin over in the tins over night (not as much as a non duct fresh ink) You can leave it in the duct & spray with an antiskin but you wouldn't be able to leave it in over the weekend. Unlike some other duct fresh inks that never seem to skin.

I still firmly believe that the type of fountain solution used has a big impact on the drying of the ink.

I'm not sure to understand everythings, but thanks a lot for your answers!

"Duct fresh" / "stay open inks" means that no skin will appear after a while on the ink?
I think we don't have this problem because we use pomp for our 4 presses (SM 102 & XL 105), and all run 24/7. I will ask press man about this.

What about colour or mechanics properties?

(Do you understand my english? Can you correct my mistakes please?)

Sun Chem Inks

Sun Chem Inks

Hello Gregoire,

Re - SunLit Inks

All the basic information is avaiable via Sun Chemical Inks (Europe)

What other information do you require about these Inks? this shouldn't be hard to obtain, you live

in France which has a large printing industry

Regards, Alois

I'm not asking only about this ink. I want to know how to choose an ink, which criteria are importants.

I can ask Sun Chemical for a technical sheet. It's interesting, but they will only give advantages. And I can't compare result with another ink if I don't understand clearly all parameters.

Gregoire.

Gregoire,

Now you're talking!

Go with the ink company / supplier that provides Technical Service and takes a true interest in your opeartions to the good of profitability.

Don't get fooled by guys who call themselves 'Technical Sales'. These guys will usually be armed with soccer tickets, French pastries and lavish suppers with views of the Eiffel Tower.

You want a representative that is carrying a kit with all the tools to measure your presses and pressroom conditions. Then and only then, will the supplier be in position to offer you the proper inkings.

Don't settle for here, 'just try this' because it works at Pepe La Pews Print Shop or whatever.

Get a committment and a partnership working. That is how you choose ink sir. The right way!

D Ink Man

Lithographic Inks

Lithographic Inks

Hello Gregoire,

A PDF that I hope you will find of interest and value

Regards, Alois

Attachments

• Requirements for a Good Lithographic Ink.pdf
    48 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Thanks for all your answers.

Of course, D Ink Man, I'll not try everything that people can say here. But it's always good to know how people do and think.
In fact, our company is just looking for a new supplier, so we are doing technology watch.

GregorieL

Below is something that I put together that I provide printers that are considering another competitors ink:

Process Ink Testing Considerations

There are many reasons a printer may choose to test a competitors product, may it be pricing, curiosity, or just to have an approved back up supplier. There are several factors that should not be over looked when testing and/or making a change to a new ink. Thoroughly evaluating a product will insure that additional manufacturing costs are not incurred by a lesser product. Most importantly, keep in mind, when the price is the deciding factor, there is a Unit Cost i.e. (Price per pound) and there is a Cost to Use which directly affects manufacturing. The cost to use, if the product doesn't out perform your current product during the evaluation, can far out weigh the price per pound savings.

Below are important factors that should be taken into consideration prior to making any change from your current products:

Service / Availability

Is the ink supplier the manufacturer or a distributer? When dealing with a manufacturer you are dealing directly with the source. Should you have a special need / request the manufacturer can readily fill your needs. Where as a distributer is a middle man; to whom which represent various manufacturers products. Occasionally, distributers will drop one brand for another forcing the printer to re qualify another ink from the distributer and/or find another source for the product they have been using.

Does the vendor have the resources to provide immediate technical service, should the need arise? Readily available technical service, when required, can considerably reduce down time. Any down time incurred results in lost profits. When dealing with a local manufacturer technical service is readily available. Therefore, should the need arise, a manufacturer will have the resources to make the necessary product adjustments to suit the application.

Is the product stocked locally and/or can you get it the next day when required? More often then not, printers keep a minimal inventory on hand to reduce waste and keep payables to a minimum. It is not uncommon for a large job to come in that needs to be printed ASAP in order to meet a delivery deadline. If the ink distributer is unable to fill an order by the next business day, this can result in lost revenue due to lack of material required to produce the job.

Product Testing / Performance

In a perfect world, the proper way to evaluate a new ink, versus the current product being used, is to put on a test form using un calibrated plates (linear). However, most ink evaluations are done on live jobs. Therefore, it is best that both inks be run on the same job in order to see what takes place when the products are swapped out.

When the new ink is put into the press, it should be run to density only, rather then visually matching the proof or the previously printed O.K. sheet, unless the plates being used are linear. The reason behind printing to density, most printing plates have a curve applied in order for the press to match the proof using the current set of inks. If the new set of inks are put in the press and run up/down to visually match, there is a good chance that either too much or too little ink film will be used to achieve color.

When an ink has too much dot gain the density will have to be reduced to compensate. In most cases this optical dot gain is mistaken for a stronger ink. By reducing the density, to reduce the dot gain, in order to visually match, you are also reducing the saturation and the color gamut that can be reproduced. Furthermore, a lower ink film will be more difficult to control especially on light coverage jobs.

If the ink is lacking dot gain, appears that more ink needs to be run, to match the proof, the density will have to be increased. Not only does increasing the density waste ink it also causes the operator to run more water in order to keep the print clean. Additionally, a heavier ink film requires more time to dry.

Plate curve corrections can be made to correct dot gain deficiencies should they be required after a brief initial test is performed, after running the inks to density only. The following should be observed and documented when performing the test versus the current inks:

• How many sheets it takes to get to density?
• How did the ink respond to the operators input?
• Did the ink densities remain stable during stops and starts while making ready? If not, how many sheets did it take to come back to density?
• Did the ink keys, duct speed, and/or water have to be increased or decreased to achieve density? This is critical as it will tell you how well the ink transfers, resulting in additional or reduced mileage.
• How long does the ink take to be dry enough to put back through the press?
• How long until the job is dry enough to put through the bindery?

All of the above directly affect manufacturing costs i.e. (Cost to Use). Should the initial testing pass, after evaluating the above, it is in the printers best interest to run an extended trial for no less then 7-days. This will allow the printer to see how the product performs over a variety of jobs, press conditions, and to get a better idea of any real cost savings versus their current product. Only at this time should the printer make the decision to change products.

I hope you find this useful. Also, not that it really matters, I am not a salesman for an ink company, my background is technical.

Regards,
Bob

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back