Thin lines fast scan Avantra 25S

Billy_78

Could somebody give some idea what to check if image is distorted in fast scan direction? See also attached images. I cleaned mirror motor encoder, but it didn't help. What else to check? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Lines.jpg
    Lines.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 171
  • Closeup.jpg
    Closeup.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 184
Bill,

From the samples you posted, it looks like a spinner issue. One thing you can do is run an exposure test and see if the lines are in that test also.

STSTech

I would guess it was encoder but you say you have cleaned that. I had problems back in the day with our SCSI cable. If you have another cable it should be an easy thing to check and/or eliminate.

I will differ with the other replies. The closeup.jpg shows lines that don't correspond with any missing data lines. Therefore, they look like extra lines that are not supposed to be there. If that is the case, then you have extra data coming from the RIP or extra video to the laser being generated by the DEC board in the Avantra. Could also be a lousy contact with the interconnect cable at either the RIP or Avantra end. Reseat the data cable between RIP and Avantra. If that doesn't resolve it then run the internal density test page on the Avantra. If lines are there then it is definitely DEC board. If not there then it could still be DEC board (input memory bad) or RIP output bad. In either of these two cases you will need a Service Engineer to resolve which it is.

I will differ with the other replies. The closeup.jpg shows lines that don't correspond with any missing data lines. Therefore, they look like extra lines that are not supposed to be there. If that is the case, then you have extra data coming from the RIP or extra video to the laser being generated by the DEC board in the Avantra. Could also be a lousy contact with the interconnect cable at either the RIP or Avantra end. Reseat the data cable between RIP and Avantra. If that doesn't resolve it then run the internal density test page on the Avantra. If lines are there then it is definitely DEC board. If not there then it could still be DEC board (input memory bad) or RIP output bad. In either of these two cases you will need a Service Engineer to resolve which it is.

I just run internal test page and it was OK. So it seems like cable or DEC board now. I will try to to reseat the cable and tell the results later.

Apis board could be the cause of the problem as well beside the cable and The DEC. Remove and clean the APIS board and the dust inside your computer and reinsert it in different slot or the same one. Also check all the pins on the APIS cable on both sides.

Caution: APIS is highly electrostatic sensitive. Ground your body.

Last edited:
Having run the internal density test page and no extraneous lines showed up then the 75ALSxxxN chip is probably good. It is probably a problem with the input memory. Sorry, but I don't have a DEC board to reference as to what chips may be bad on it. Perhaps someone else has input to that issue.

Having run the internal density test page and no extraneous lines showed up then the 75ALSxxxN chip is probably good. It is probably a problem with the input memory. Sorry, but I don't have a DEC board to reference as to what chips may be bad on it. Perhaps someone else has input to that issue.

Agree, the DEC board could be the cause of the problem as well.

Last edited:

And I came with the opposite statement to the same verdict :)
75ALS 192 and 195 - signal transmitters and receivers are the part of APIS at DEC board.
Internal test OK - basic part of DEC is OK too... but possible APIS problem: PAC/UPAc board, APIS cable (long or short) and APIS chips on the DEC brd are under my suspicion.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back