Two screen rulings in the same off-set plate

SilvaJr

Question to the forum:

We have been working under ISO 12647 targeting FOGRA 41 to PSO MFC paper, and correcting our curves using MyPressExpert and Creo Harmony.

We have been using 150 LPI Eliptical IP, but ISO Standard calculates its targets based on rounded screening, not eliptical IP.

My question is: Is it possible to have the color strip and graycontrol strip with round screening and the rest of the plate with another dot shape (i.e. Eliptical)?

Our workflow is Prinergy Evo. My conclusion by looking the process templates is that is not possible, but if someone have a different oppinion, please I'm interested to hear it.

I'm interested to output all jobs with eliptical dots, keeping just the marks with rounded dots.

Thanks in advance!

I am not sure about Evo, however with Connect this would be achived with the "DotShop Composer" Acrobat plug-in licensed option.

EDIT: It appears that this plug-in is also available for Evo!

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
We have been using 150 LPI Eliptical IP, but ISO Standard calculates its targets based on rounded screening, not eliptical IP.

My question is: Is it possible to have the color strip and graycontrol strip with round screening and the rest of the plate with another dot shape (i.e. Eliptical)?

You can do it with DotShop. The question is should you?

best, gordo

you asked "Is it possible to have the color strip and graycontrol strip with round screening and the rest of the plate with another dot shape (i.e. Eliptical)?"

Yes, of course, but I ( like Gordo ) are a little unsure as to how having one type of screening for colorbars will help you print better when the actual important press work you are trying to control are using a different screening - sounds a bit crazy to me ( unless you are in the business of selling colorbars )

My experience is this is a bit problematic. When I was at AGFA, we offered ways to mix screening ( FM and AM ) with Plug-ins - some Crystal Raster customers hated the way FM Screening make flat tints noisy, but love it for contone images, so - well - we built it, but it just caused other issues.

I would toss it all away and go with Auraia if I had my druthers

.:Hamillroad Software | Products | Auraia-II:.

( do not actually know what a druther is, but if i had them, I am sure it would help )

I'll go so far as to say that it would be a bad idea to use a different screening for your colorbars than for the live area. The colorbars would no longer be indicative of what is happening to the rest of the press sheet.

Thank you guys for your comments. We still are not in the business of selling colorbars. :)
Your comments are correct, We have been so interested to target ISO 12647 that someone came with this idea to improve even more the color accuracy.

Our final comment is: a standard is supposed to reflect the industry common practices. When a standard (ISO 12647) does not match common practices adopted, the standard should be updated.

Thanks,

I'll go so far as to say that it would be a bad idea to use a different screening for your colorbars than for the live area. The colorbars would no longer be indicative of what is happening to the rest of the press sheet.

Agreed.

Our final comment is: a standard is supposed to reflect the industry common practices. When a standard (ISO 12647) does not match common practices adopted, the standard should be updated.

Absolutely.

[SNIP]

I would disagree. Just because they are industry common practices does not mean they are the correct or the best practices.

best, gordo

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back