What color to piant the prep walls

amybest222

Looking to paint the prep dept and we were wondering if there is a specific color grey. a Benjamin Moore color perhaps?
You direction would be appreciated.
Our monitors are calibrated with eye one match but always seem to fall short on the luminacne part.
Also what lighting would you reccomend for the ceiling? thanks

Do you know if Benjamin Moore or Behr makes something compatible? little pricey but Ill pass it on thanks!

Just out of curiosity, I would have thought that Munsell Gray walls would have been a requirement of the Pantone Certified Printer Program, or at least included in the audit?
Regards,
Todd

well the moniors/lightbooths/press room lightbooths are all in calibration.. they never said anything about the walls.. we have veiwing booths in in the prep and press rooms..We just need to put some fresh paint and i was pointing out that my luminance fluctuates monitor to monitor ... (lighting also) what lighting do you use above the macs? or are you using hoods?

Didnt see that in the audit, we have a written audit and mentions nothing about the walls. Just that there are proprer veiwing enviroments.

All our lighting in our prepress area is 5000ºK. We don't use any overhead lighting, our lighting is mainly under cabinet lighting. I use a GTI Desktop Viewer and we have a GTI Stand alone light booth. All our press consoles are 5000ºK also. We light them all with GTI lamps(prepress & pressroom.) We do not use hoods because the lighting is subdued.

I would have thought that Pantone's audit would include wall color.....our production areas look like the inside of a submarine!
Regards,
Todd

Pantone suggests 6500k thats what our booths are, same in the press room.

Strange. Did you ask Pantone why 6500k when ISO 3664: 2000 - the standard for viewing conditions for graphic technologies and professional photography specifies 5000k?

best, gordo

ISO 3664: 2000 has been updated to ISO 3664: 2009 which defines the spectral conditions for the illuminant as D50 which is not the same as 5000ºK. The standard also notes that when a monitor is used to compare images against printed images then the monitor should have a white point of D50.
If Pantone is going to certify printers the very least they should do is adhere to the ISO standards that printers should reference and try to follow. This is one of the many reasons that I question the validity of Pantone's program and their expertise in the print arena.
Regards,
Todd

maybe im wrong let me go thru my audit notes

amybest222,
I am not bashing you or your company for participating in, and completing the certification program in any way. I am however raising questions that I would ask Pantone about before our company would participate.
Regards,
Todd

ISO 3664: 2000 has been updated to ISO 3664: 2009 which defines the spectral conditions for the illuminant as D50 which is not the same as 5000ºK. The standard also notes that when a monitor is used to compare images against printed images then the monitor should have a white point of D50.[SNIP]

Whether it's ISO 3664: 2000 or ISO 3664: 2009 - neither are 6500k (which is what amybest222 wrote that Pantone suggested)

Also, and I may be wrong here, both ISO 3664: 2000 and ISO 3664: 2009 specify the color temperature as 5000k (and the spectral power distribution as D50.)

best, gordo

Also, and I may be wrong here, both ISO 3664: 2000 and ISO 3664: 2009 specify the color temperature as 5000k (and the spectral power distribution as D50.)

I do not have a copy of ISO 3664:2009. I am referencing an article written by Eric Dalton, VP @ JUST Normlicht Inc. He makes no mention of the color of light in ºK, only D50 & D65, and that D50 is different than 5000ºK.
Regards,
Todd

I do not have a copy of ISO 3664:2009. I am referencing an article written by Eric Dalton, VP @ JUST Normlicht Inc. He makes no mention of the color of light in ºK, only D50 & D65, and that D50 is different than 5000ºK.
Regards,
Todd

Then the article you read is incomplete.

There are 5 lighting conditions which must be met for ISO 3664:2009. One of them is Color Quality which is composed of 3 elements: the chromaticity aimpoint, color temperature (the ISO specification is 5000k) and spectral power distribution (the ISO specification is D50).

I only responded to the OP's statement regarding 6500k (which Pantone apparently suggested).

IMHO, Pantone has a history of failing to adhere to printing industry standards, practice, and specifications. They don't even provide any significant information when requested (e.g. the responses they provided on your poll regarding their PANTONE Certified Printer Program).

I would be very cautious looking to Pantone as a partner in achieving my color goals.

best, gordo

so i was wrong all the light booths are ISO and D5000 the computers ont the other hand are set to a white point of D65 which is what Xrite is NOW recommending to simulate D5000 on your LCD screen,
Im still learning. Im an applications wizard but just learning about ISO thanks for everyones patience with me!

Then the article you read is incomplete.

There are 5 lighting conditions which must be met for ISO 3664:2009. One of them is Color Quality which is composed of 3 elements: the chromaticity aimpoint, color temperature (the ISO specification is 5000k) and spectral power distribution (the ISO specification is D50).

Thank you for the information and clarification Gordo. I need to get a copy of ISO 3664:2009 and familiarize myself with its contents.
Regards,
Todd

How a lighting company got into the paint business

How a lighting company got into the paint business

As Henry Ford is quoted as saying ..."Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black."

GTI is in a similar position in that we sell only neutral gray paint (both Munsell N8/ and Munsell N7/). Since we were founded in 1975 by former members of Macbeth Corporation, our initial recommendations to clients needing to paint the walls of a color viewing room were carried forward from Macbeth and pointed to several commercial paint colors from either Benjamin Moore or Pittsburgh Paints. It so happened that two customers - a print buyer and a printer - both went to their local paint store and bought the same paint (same model and designation), brought it home and painted their walls.

After having problems agreeing on color matches, they asked us to visit the two locations to see what the problem was. Turns out the the problem was the difference in the shades of gray at the two locations. This caused us to realize that the color tolerances in commercial paint mixing were not tight enough to assure tight agreement among critical color clients - thus we entered the paint business. While paint matching tools and techniques have improved significantly since that time, there is still plenty of opportunity for poor correlation between two parties located in different places buying paint from local retailers. Thus we continue to offer two shades of neutral gray paint (see attached flier). We do perform ongoing testing to make sure that these paints are accurate and consistent.

Gordo - you raise a great question. While technically if the Pantone booth is located in the ink room there could be an argument for using D65 as the primary daylight source, most printers would rather assess the color match under the same D50 light quality that is found in the press room and everywhere else in the image reproduction world.

Finally - there is a new version of ISO 3664 which was published in 2009 (ISO 3664:2009) which does specify 5000K as the 2000 version did. The only difference in the new version is a smaller tolerance in the UV region match to CIE D50 - thus we have had to reformulate our lamp phosphor in order to increase the UV energy falling on the print and proof. We have several articles about this new standard on our blog site right here .... What’s new in the ISO 3664 standard? | GTI Graphic Technology, Inc.

Regards,
Bob

Attachments

• Paint.PDF
    162 KB · Views: 222

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back