why is Oris Color Tuner adding C + M dots to a pure 100% Y?

andyfest0719

We're newbies with our Oris proofing system, having migrated from a Best Screenproof. We are still using 1 bits > Oris Screendot module to form our proofing image. Oris is adding C & M dots to the pure yelo screens all the way from 5 % to 100%, making our pure yelo screens and even our 100% yelo look slightly "pink" on the proof. Any ideas why?? It's not the substrate emulation, as that should only add a 4% dot to the background. Profile used is Gracol 2006 Coated1. I've noticed this on a proof from one of our clients using the exact same system (Oris + Epson 9900).

It's simply doing the best it can to emulate the colour it is trying to match. The pure yellow of the Epson in combination with the paper need 'muddying' to match the target. I understand it looks a bit odd. You can edit it out manually though.

It's simply doing the best it can to emulate the colour it is trying to match. The pure yellow of the Epson in combination with the paper need 'muddying' to match the target. I understand it looks a bit odd. You can edit it out manually though.

How/where is the manual edit done - and can the edit be done only for the yelo? The rest of the process colours look to be ok as is.

Yes, you can individually edit any colour breakdown. There is an 'action range' you can adjust which will decide how much it affects similar colours. (helps keep smooth graduations).
I forgot to mention you can only use this tool within Oris if you have colour managed using 'Automatic colour correction' rather than icc based colour matching. (it's far better to use auto colour correction).
I can't remember where exactly it is (been out of colour management for 18 months now). Hopefully someone else will chip in.

Edit the settings for your queue, on the colour correction tab, edit the ORIS_DAT colour table for the standard CMYK colour correction.

Stephen Marsh

P.S. I would save a copy of the current DAT table and work on that, rather than editing the original setup.

If you are using ORIS Certified Web for a given specification such as ISO Coated v2/Fogra 39, then your proofs may fail certification if you alter the colour outside of the tolerances for the specification (even though the yellows may look better without the "contaminating" colours, these colours are there to make the inkjet yellow appear the same as the press yellow).

Stephen Marsh

We're newbies with our Oris proofing system, having migrated from a Best Screenproof. We are still using 1 bits > Oris Screendot module to form our proofing image. Oris is adding C & M dots to the pure yelo screens all the way from 5 % to 100%, making our pure yelo screens and even our 100% yelo look slightly "pink" on the proof. Any ideas why?? It's not the substrate emulation, as that should only add a 4% dot to the background. Profile used is Gracol 2006 Coated1. I've noticed this on a proof from one of our clients using the exact same system (Oris + Epson 9900).

This is due to the fact that there are more impurities in offset litho ink than in Inkjet ink which uses "purer" pigments.
the ORIS software is trying to reproduce "real-world" conditions.

Last edited:
How/where is the manual edit done - and can the edit be done only for the yelo? The rest of the process colours look to be ok as is.

There is one but here. If you have Color Tuner Basic you can not do fine tuning of the color. You can only do global (gradation) tuning. You can easily see this if you open your queue settings and go to edit Oris dat table. If you can open the edit color table (.cc file) window you have all the necessary tools to edit your yellow channel. As the others suggested don't edit the original dat or cc file, but create new with the edited yellow.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back