Working with France based printer… how to request SPOT UV.

AtomicKid

I'm working with a wine producer in Bordeaux, and while my client speaks very good English, we've run into some issues translating my instructions to the printer. Since most of these terms don't directly translate, I'm hoping that someone one here may have some experience providing some basic direction, and more specifically related to "spot gloss" or "spot uv".

I provided the main design, composed of some grey tones and white type. Then a provided a separate black and white texture that is to be overprinted strictly as a gloss. I tried my best to reference technologies, like JETVarnish, and a few other industry terms I was able to dig up. Unfortunately they ended up printing my pattern as Black.

(Note, they didn't provide proofs before the full run, that's a whole other issue. I also didn't have direct contact with the printer).

The closest I've been able to find since was "vernis machine" on a English -> French glossary for industry terms.

Ultimately I want to explicitly be able to say "this is how it should have been printed, please re-print for my client".

I really appreciate your help.

Steve

You start by saying " vous n'avez pas respecte' mes consignes pour l'impression. Du fait je vous prie de reimprimer ce travail pour mon client."
As far as the spot varnish you requested its called. Vernis partiel or ask for vernis UV .

Please translate that for the non-French speaking members of the forum.

Al

"You did not respect my instructions for the printing. As a result I kindly request that you reprint the job on behalf of my client."

"Spot varnish" or "UV varnish"

Gordo

You start by saying " vous n'avez pas respecte' mes consignes pour l'impression. Du fait je vous prie de reimprimer ce travail pour mon client."
As far as the spot varnish you requested its called. Vernis partiel or ask for vernis UV .

That's great. I am going to Paris this Spring and I might use that phrase if the situation comes up. Merci. :)

Merci bien!!

That's really great, I should have reached out at the start. No matter how long I do this, I should always remember not to assume anything.

Cheers,
Stephen

Could you go down to your local wine store and check the labels if wines produced in the same region as your client and if there's one that uses a spot varnish like what you are trying to do, let them know that that wine's label could be used as an example of the effect that you're trying to achieve?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back