Xerox C60 or Ricoh C5200s?

gazfocus

Looking for another press to keep as a backup as we are getting busier and when our Versant 80 goes down for a week and a half, it puts us in a real bind.

Looking at our options (a bit cash strapped at present) and we can get a Xerox C60 or a Ricoh C5200s within our budget.

Both machines come without any finishing equipment and without any high capacity feeders so are just the bare engine. We do already have a basic booklet finisher we could use with the Xerox as it came with our Versant 80 and we swapped it out for a Pro Booklet Finisher with square fold trimmer.

Neither machine are on a service contract (we could get a C60 on a service contract but it’d be about £1.5k more to purchase and then would have a minimum monthly cost to consider, which I want to avoid for a ‘backup’ machine.

So, from a quality standpoint and also a self-maintenance standpoint, which would be the better buy?

Looking for another press to keep as a backup as we are getting busier and when our Versant 80 goes down for a week and a half, it puts us in a real bind.

Looking at our options (a bit cash strapped at present) and we can get a Xerox C60 or a Ricoh C5200s within our budget.

Both machines come without any finishing equipment and without any high capacity feeders so are just the bare engine. We do already have a basic booklet finisher we could use with the Xerox as it came with our Versant 80 and we swapped it out for a Pro Booklet Finisher with square fold trimmer.

Neither machine are on a service contract (we could get a C60 on a service contract but it’d be about £1.5k more to purchase and then would have a minimum monthly cost to consider, which I want to avoid for a ‘backup’ machine.

So, from a quality standpoint and also a self-maintenance standpoint, which would be the better buy?
If you use finishing go with Xerox. When Versant is down you can use the finisher with C60.
Also if you want to selfservice the printers I can provide you pws software with edoc for both machines.

If you use finishing go with Xerox. When Versant is down you can use the finisher with C60.
Also if you want to selfservice the printers I can provide you pws software with edoc for both machines.
To be honest, I don’t know if I’d use the finishing equipment on a spare machine. We don’t use it a whole lot on the Versant in all honesty (just a handful of large booklet orders now and again). My main concern with having no finisher is having nowhere for the output to stack.

To be honest, I don’t know if I’d use the finishing equipment on a spare machine. We don’t use it a whole lot on the Versant in all honesty (just a handful of large booklet orders now and again). My main concern with having no finisher is having nowhere for the output to stack.
Then choose the Ricoh to see how another printer works.

Gaz you can get a basic shift stack finishing unit without the booklet maker for the 5210 - either SR4120 or SR5070

These were used on other models as well so I reckon you might find one used somewhere for not much.

There's a site in the US selling one new for just $795

Failing that there's always the basic 500 sheet copy tray.

This archived configurator page lets you see what the options were

For self maintaining, I would go Xerox. Having had both Ricoh C5200's and various Xerox models in my shop, the thing that stood them apart was the maintenance. Ricoh's were much more reliable than the Xerox's, but when they did have a problem, it was always an engineer visit - even to change a drum! Nothing we could do to get it going like you can on a Xerox, which are much easier to work on and change parts in my opinion. IF you were having a service contract however, the Ricoh is a great machine, but I understand as a backup, it's an additional expense.

For self maintaining, I would go Xerox. Having had both Ricoh C5200's and various Xerox models in my shop, the thing that stood them apart was the maintenance. Ricoh's were much more reliable than the Xerox's, but when they did have a problem, it was always an engineer visit - even to change a drum! Nothing we could do to get it going like you can on a Xerox, which are much easier to work on and change parts in my opinion. IF you were having a service contract however, the Ricoh is a great machine, but I understand as a backup, it's an additional expense.
Thanks for this. If I was buying for our main press, I'd definitely get a service contract, and I doubt Xerox would even be an option at this point as I'm so frustrated with how long it's taken our dealer to get the Versant 80 back up and running (almost 2 weeks without a press).

That said, I was talking to our Xerox engineer today and when he told me (roughly) how much the parts were that our Versant 80 has had over the past 18 months I nearly fainted so definitely glad I have a service contract on that! haha

Thanks for this. If I was buying for our main press, I'd definitely get a service contract, and I doubt Xerox would even be an option at this point as I'm so frustrated with how long it's taken our dealer to get the Versant 80 back up and running (almost 2 weeks without a press).

That said, I was talking to our Xerox engineer today and when he told me (roughly) how much the parts were that our Versant 80 has had over the past 18 months I nearly fainted so definitely glad I have a service contract on that! haha
I dread to think what mine uses in parts. We see our engineers about every two weeks currently for our v80. Last call was full fuser rebuild along with 2 dev tanks 2nd btr and a couple of feed rollers. We average 1 2nd btr a month currently and we are pushing 138k clicks per month.

I totted up roughly the cost of toner if I wasn't on a contract and it was twice what my bill was this month.

Well worth the cost and the only way to run a press if you do any volume.

I dread to think what mine uses in parts. We see our engineers about every two weeks currently for our v80. Last call was full fuser rebuild along with 2 dev tanks 2nd btr and a couple of feed rollers. We average 1 2nd btr a month currently and we are pushing 138k clicks per month.

I totted up roughly the cost of toner if I wasn't on a contract and it was twice what my bill was this month.

Well worth the cost and the only way to run a press if you do any volume.
100% agree with this. Our engineer visit today was because our fuser belt had delaminated and needed replacing. It’s our 2nd belt replacement in 6 months and the engineer said they’re about £600 even before their callout fee. A full fuser for a C60 can be bought for around £300 on eBay.

Sorry, lying...? How bloody rude.
Xerox, yes always customer replaceable.
Ricoh C7xxx, yes customer replaceable,
Ricoh C5xxx ENGINEER replaceable - ran C5100 and C5200 for 5 years and was never given drums to replace, always engineer call.
Actually, getting trained on 5300 series replaceable parts is an option now.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back