Comments on Fiery Color Profiler Suite?

rocketjam

I'm interested if anyone has experience with Fiery Color Profiler Suite and if so, what your opinion of it is.
Thanks!

I have the software and it's got all the bells and whistles. The final icc created uses the XYZ pcs (profile connection space) instead of Lab pcs. Lab pcs is more common and in my case I have a wide-format printer RIP which only reads Lab based icc profiles. I think there is a workround to getting the pcs changed. I've just tried ColorThink Pro for this and it seems to work. Color Profile Suite and the ES-1000 spectrophotometer is used together.

I don’t know what it is with these “ES-1000” Fiery branded (i1 Pro v1) spectros, however I have had problems using them outside of Fiery software.

Stephen Marsh

I have the ES-1000 licensed to my Mac. I have used it with Color Profile suite and also my wide-format RIP where I need to re-linearize inks. So the ES-1000 will seem to work outside Color Profile suite as long as the device is licensed to one OS. But just recently I installed VMWare to run an earlier version Mac OS so I can still use the wide-format RIP (it no longer is compatible with OSX Maverick). Now I find the ES-1000 won't really work and I think it's to do with licensing. For me I would have to make the decision to install the Fiery RIP, Color Profile Suite, ES-1000 all on the operating system running under VMWare, and I think I'll solve the problem. I haven't done this yet so can't give you any feedback.

Appreciate all the replies and feedback. We have six Fiery RIP run printers and a couple of Presstek DI's that use Harlequin based RIPS. From what I've read I'm thinking I can create profiles for the DI's with this too. Is that correct?

In my experience, the RIP will use a certain icc profile: my wide-format RIP likes icc profiles which use the Lab profile connection space or PCS. So I had to find a way to create icc profiles using the ES-1000 and Fiery's Color Profile Suite and then change the PCS inside the icc profile from XYZ to Lab. This I can do. So once I create the best icc profile using Fiery's Color Profile which has a XYZ pcs, I then use another software package called ColorThink Pro. ColorThink Pro is used to diagnose and evaluate icc profiles, but it can also build device link icc profiles and a few other things. I gave it a try and managed to get XYZ converted to Lab for the icc profile which I can then use in my wide-format RIP.
So to answer your question, if your ES-1000 is licensed on the same machine and OS as your Fiery Color Profile suite, then you should be able to use the ES-1000 to create a icc profile for any device. If the RIP you want to install the icc profile rejects it, check the reason for it and it may be to do with the icc profile not having the correct colour channels, eg. CMYK, RGB, etc. or it may be to do with the pcs.

I think this was fixed with OSX 10.6 but check this out anyway. Go to System Preferences and you see if you see a Utility on the bottom "Other" row called "X-Rite Devices". Make sure that any devices listed are unchecked and you should then be able to use your spectrometer. Not sure how the utility got there in the first place but there you have it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back