Fulfillment Discussion - Handling and storage

mattf

Need some fresh ideas on a specific issue I've been tackling within our fulfillment department. This example is our largest account, so making it more efficient will help in multiple areas. Any advice on improvement would be helpful:

My company has a huge order we do every summer. The deal is we do a small pamphlet for an insurance company. This pamphlet they give to over 300+ clients. Pamphlets range from quantities of 2000 to 4000 per client, sometimes more for specific clients up to 20,000. Pamphlet is basically the same but the front page has the name of the client in question. Pamphlets are 4 color and form into a C fold.

Basically we, the printing company, do not have digital printers. So this is the current system we use to handle the orders:

1) Get a list from the insurance company. Each client has specific dates the pamphlets are needed.

2) Print 3 types of pamphlets. First would be full text plus school name. Second is full text with no school name. Third is just the master with no text or school name.

3) We store the pamphlets on carts with signs on which stack is which client. When our customer calls us up for an order, we basically then fold the pamphlet, pack it up and go. At this moment storage of carts are wherever room is available.

4) Store Blank masters in separate area. We will then print the masters on demand on a 2C printmaster.

5) Pamphlet with no school name is kept in same area as Pamphlet with school name. This allows for on demand ordering for a specific school. When specific school is called for, we fold the pamphlet then print the school name on our windmill letterpress.

6) We have specific lot numbers for each form. There are about 40 forms which were printed 8 up. When an order comes in, the specific client will have a designated form number. Example: Lot 2B. Lot is folded and finished to be shipped same day.

A positive of this system is its stored in the bindery section. That way, when an order is created the lot can be just loaded onto a folder and be off and running. An issue of this system is that there is no organization. Lot numbers are assigned, but there is no standard way to organize the carts in a systematic way that everyone can recognize and instantly comprehend. This creates a sense of clutter within bindery, and its at times hard to maneuver. The carts sit until a fulfillment order is done, which could be at most 2 months.

Previous ideas on how to organize it was to print all the forms at once, cut, fold and package up for fulfillment ordering. One of the main issues with that was we would need to dedicate a folder to that, which would mean about 4 weeks of nothing but that. With different jobs coming and going, that might not be the best utilization of time. Also, our storage capacity within our inventory would not be able to handle the capacity of the pamphlets. That is why they are kept on the floor :p

Another idea was to create a sectioned off area in which all the unfinished pamphlets would go into. Would be setup in 2 rows, insuring access to each lot when needed. However, designating a specific amount of space for placement of the forms wasn't going to work. Not only was there not enough open floor space, but putting the work in one designated location would potentially create more time needed for transportation of goods to and from folders.

Fresh ideas are needed, and I'm coming up with blankness. I had thought about using a shelving unit and labeling each lot on the shelf for easy access. However, spacing is still an issue as there are limited number of shelves that could be used. Any suggestions would be helpful.

would it be simpler to eliminate the 3 versions down to the basic master only and do the text/school name/client name (in whatever combination is needed) on the windmill at the same time? If you're running it through the windmill anyway to imprint the school name, why not do the text and client name there as well.....

Last edited:
would it be simpler to eliminate the 3 versions down to the basic master only and do the text/school name/client name (in whatever combination is needed) on the windmill at the same time? If you're running it through the windmill anyway to imprint the school name, why not do the text and client name there as well.....

I believe its because of the cost associated with it. What happens is the job is first run on a 6C press. CMYK is first done then a 2nd black is used to add the client name/text. This is only done on the clients that have been designated for a specific amount of masters. I believe the cost to just switch out 1 plate and keep running was more cost efficient then just creating the master and then imprinting on the windmill. This also relates to the jobs with just the text being printed and no client name.

Also, I believe there is only 3-4 different versions of the text on the pamphlet. With that, it's more cost effective for us to print the text in bulk when the job is on parent sheets.

I understand your idea of just printing the master and then printing after the fact. If we had digital printers, this would be a golden thing. However, I believe the cost of setting up 300+ types of masters one after another on the windmill would be very expensive. Since we only have 1 windmill and 1 operator, he also runs our diecutter, it wouldn't have been feasible for price as well as time required to get the jobs out the door.

Maybe I'm just looking at this in a simplistic terms, but with all the time and effort, why not get a digital printer if that would be the easiest and most cost effective solution?

Are all your imprints just B/W?
What is the stock that the "master" is printed on?

It seems like you have a lot of room for human error with different shells laying everywhere.

Time Management

Time Management

I work for an all digital printery so i am not too fimilar with the presses you are using but with the info you have put forward i would suggest this:

Without equipment upgrades the system you are using looks good. Because you have a list of when and for whom you will be printing this allows you to prioratize each client. if you were to not do any finishing (folding, cut) untill all printing was completed this would allow you to use your employee that would have been fully dedicated to finishing for other things, thus not clogging up production. This would also apply to the single windmill operator you have, allowing him to do die cutting as well. this keeps your cost the same but may allow for better time manegement.

@ Craig

Yes, all the imprint Text and names are in black. Best solution would be a digital printer, however there is resistance within management to go that route on top of unavailable funds. The company has used only offset for a very long time. The viability of digital printers is still not something they grasp.

Stock is: Montauk Silk Text 80lb. We printed the parent sheet on the 6C.

@vg30dettmods

I am glad you see a positive side within the system. It does work for the most part, but I always like looking for improvements. Most of the stacks are placed near bindery because once an order was called in they would take the lot, fold it and either send it to shipping to be packed up or it would go to our windmill for name imprint. At times the lots that are placed in bindery are all encompassing, and it basically gunks up the areas. Normal work sometimes spills out to the walk areas, which inhibits others trying to do their job. I wish to create a set of locations that will keep the masters organized but also not inhibit binderies day to day work needs.

Thanks for the continued comments, always good to get ideas going.

mattf,
I know how it is when you need a piece of equipment but no cash.

Maybe a solution that could be a win win would be to rent a copier that could handle the job. Many dealers are willing to do just that and your boss won't be stuck with a commitment that he doesn't feel comfortable with. There may be enough labor savings to more than offset the machine payment.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back