Riso Comcolor

Their new machines have been interesting, but I wrote them off because we had a horrible experience with reliability. Performed great at the start, but got worse month after month until we were actually doing more impressions on the backup copier. But that's another topic. I might look again. Thanks.

None of you are concerned about the 'good enough' quality of the Riso product? I tested their latest and greatest envelope configuration just a couple months ago and compared it to the quality of a Memjet/Neopost/Rena Mach 5, and found there was no comparison. The Memjet dedicated envelope printer quality is so much better that I could not in clear conscience justify the lower cost to run of the Riso for my clients.

Sure I am. If I was looking for a quality envelope only machine I would just get the Impressia. I don't like the output of memjet. Too much background spitting and still don't like the image. As said in the OP, there is a whole class of customer where good enough is good enough and color has more value than the quality difference. I'm looking for something that gives the higher appeal of color, without the price point of toner based equipment. I know toner clicks are coming down, but I still need something between toner based B/W and color. I want to pull in the people who print large quantities of stuff on their home inkjet and spend a fortune on ink at Staples. I want to show B/W customers how color can improve results without putting a huge increase on their budget. Sometimes developing a customer is baby steps. Riso today, Xerox tomorrow. I'm always trying to move customer sales upward. Some people are satisfied doing that B/W HOA newsletter every month. I'm not. Let's find a way to move that customer to the next level. If you're coasting, you're going down hill.

We have not experienced the same problems with jamming noted by Schnicklefritz. Suspect this may be adjustment on the thickness control on the feed mechanism. We do have to readjust this for different stocks. The ink splatters will occur when the machine jams. Envelopes can be finicky to feed - if we were doing larger volumes I'd invest in the envelope feeder for it. We use factory ink as a big concern is having to replace the ink jet heads - very pricey and very complex to replace (we had to do this on the HC we had - have not had any problems with the ComColor). Would be leery of the ink formulation from aftermarket - even though cartridges are pricey - overall ink cost per impression is still cheaper than alternatives EXCEPT for high ink coverage which we do not do on this machine.

most likely everything that bob said was correct. as long as the the print out is low coverage and quality is not a factor you can print it on comcolor. basically it would take at least a million impression before you replace any part maybe a roller or so. also limitation on media is a factor only absorbent paper can be used @ 210gsm. as for the jamming schnicklefriz have you tried checking your paper for wrinkles. especially on the edges a little bent on the paper edges could cause jamming and smudges. and by the way i should say comcoclor should be used at least once a week to prevent clogging of printheads.

Paper is a major factor in the quality of a Riso. Many papers now have the ColorLok seal. ColorLok provides ink hold out while still giving a fast drying surface resulting in richer colors, denser black, cleaner type. The low maintenance and lack of special power requirements makes it attractive to me. Ink cost for most jobs calculates to be quiet low. I can get rebuilt heads for under $400. Aftermarket ink is less than half of OEM. I've found one with excellent reviews and have test prints from my own files. Even an odd lease toner machine has much higher maintenance costs. Thanks for everyone's input.

Fiery Front Ends for RISO ComColor Printers
EFI has entered into a partnership with RISO CORPORATION to launch a Fiery DFE– based on the latest FS200 Pro platform–for RISO ComColor® inkjet printers. The ComColor GD series provides an entry into high-speed cutsheet inkjet printing with a low running cost for the demands of today’s high-mix, short-run, quick turnaround printing. It will be demoed at drupa. http://www.riso.co.jp/english/

Interesting, prwhite. New machine, even faster, and Fiery support. We'll see if they made resolution enhancements as well. Should be interesting. Thanks for the heads-up.

ADD: And a 5 color machine as well (for better color). Possibly ready for Pantone XG? More and more interesting.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back